1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on my 02 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Acurrier, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Acurrier

Acurrier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone, I need a bit of help with this.
    I have an 02 Prius with 210,000. It runs good for it's age, especially considering I paid $550 for it 2 years ago. Had to replace the starter battery when I first got it, and again just a few weeks ago. The valve on the catalytic converter is corroded, so it constantly throws that code (I can still get it to pass inspection by clearing the code before, as it's not a problem that a basic OBD2 scanner would pick up).
    However, last month the orange triangle lit up with body light illuminated. I have ho idea what could be causing this, and it hasn't thrown an MIL up. It MAY be the inverter pump (from reading forums on here), it may not be, I simply do not know.
    My question is, should I spend the time and money to try to find out what the issue is, or bid the (easily one of my favorite) car farewell and sell it for parts/repair or send it to farm?
    Thanks everyone!

ozmatt likes this.
  2. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Personally I would get it diagnosed if the car is in good condition otherwise and you still like it, however a prius that age and mileage one can almost guarantee the traction battery is about to fail. Good luck

3. Acurrier

Acurrier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The body is in really good condition, especially considering it has spent it's life in Vermont, and the winters here are known to rust out cars in as little as 4 years.
    The main battery has scared me since I bought it, and has held strong this whole time, but like you (kind of) said, it could fail at any time.
    Money is a big barrier for me on getting it fixed, and the only place I could get it diagnosed is at a dealer, which is a 30-40 minute interstate drive away....frustratingly, and they charge a very large amount for it.
    Someone on a different site had said the oil level can cause the indicator to go off, is this true? I did just have the oil changed about 2 weeks before it came on. It seems to be at about the correct level and I had it done at a dealership, not a strictly toyota one but that's besides the point.
    I'm just really frustrated right now, I love this little car, it gets great mpg's, and has been incredibly reliable since the day I bought it. Kind of figures, I buy a new car, and the old one starts acting up....

4. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It really is a shot in the dark unless you diagnose it, no one can tell. I do know the battery in those gen1 prius had design faults to begin with and when the pack from a gen1 gets rebuilt most builders will use gen2 modules, to make it more annoying the gen1 prius has 38 modules (inside the pack) yet gen2 prius has just 28 so if your doing the repair yourself you will need 2x gen2 packs to get your 38 modules! or at least one full pack plus 10 extras, I read here somewhere the problem with early modules was fixed in 2003 so yours is bound to have the problematic modules unless its been repaired previously, most gen1 batteries that I know of have already failed.

Not sure about gen1 but with gen2 you can read codes and see battery voltages with the cheap Bluetooth obd2 readers via android phone Torque app, these are dirt cheap it may be more convenient and less risky than trying to drive the car for 40 minutes, not sure if the exact obd2 below will work with your car it might pay to do a little research on here before obligating to any one.

Attached Files:

5. Acurrier

Acurrier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: I figured it out! After posting last time, I did a PROPER check of the oil level (warm engine, level ground, car off, check and clean dip 3X) and I noticed that it was actually EXTREMELY over filled. I drained around a quart out of the engine, brought it to the exact middle of the full area, light went off and it is off still!
    So, as a heads up for anyone looking for help in the same area, check your oil level very carefully! Over filled oil will create higher oil pressure and trip your yellow triangle of death!
    Thank you Ozmatt for your assistance!

stormchaser likes this.