1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on working on / upgrading my 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by cam7731, Feb 9, 2013.

1. cam7731

cam7731 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So, I'm handy. I'm not scared of any mechanical or electrical issue but I don't have a lot of experience working on cars.

I do understand undergrad general chemistry, electronics, programming, basic mechanics, and engine theory. I'm an experienced computer programmer and general gadget / device hacker.

I don't have a lot of car tools other than a socket set and jackstands, and my only manual is the Haynes manual.

I don't really have a garage empty to use, I have to do my work in the cul-de-sac at the bottom of my driveway.

So far I've changed my brakes and oil, and I'm getting ready to checkout my exhaust system because I think my muffler is going.

I've decided to keep my Gen 1 (had it for 4 or 5 years) and work on / improve it rather than replace it. It is throwing a bunch of codes these days and being generally finicky.

However, it still runs. :)

I'm so sold on my car that I not only want to maintain it, I want to pimp it out. First mechanically, then with improved electronics, and finally with things like paint jobs, luxury interior, etc. I intend to do most of the work (not paint or cosmetics) myself.

If the forum will kindly help me, I'll post photos of my progress and keep you guys up to date on issues / resolution.

Here are projects I have in mind to start with:

Replace muffler / exhaust system.
    Replace suspension / tire with superior suspension and better MPG tires.
    Rejuvenate / replace batteries.
    Check / Service / Repair / Replace all major mechanical due to fail.
    Add solar panels to hood, roof, and trunk.
    EV Mode.
    Convert to plugin and add inverter to power house in emergency.
    Convert to flexfuel (ethanol).
    Supercharge or turbo charge.
    Hydrogen boost using a booster of my own design.
    Replace touch display with tablet computer. Somehow route the standard Toyota I/O to a window or app on the tablet. Pimp out with Priidash, Torque, media, 4g, Pandora, Google Navigation, etc.
    Add rear cam, front cam, and cop / carjacking cam. (Driver side window).
    Add radio scanner / CB Radio / integrate with tablet and Bluetooth.
    Programmable / custom ECUs?
    Engine rebuild?

The sky really is the limit.

I'm smart and I'm determined. Plus, my wife okayed the project as long as I don't touch HER Prius :)

Please help with ideas, constructive comments, and a list of starting equipment.

Thanks.

Aaron

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps the first steps:
    • Scanner - given some of your goals, you might look at AutoEnginuity since it has a data recording capability. But a ScanGauge II would work or follow some of the Android work that is going on. The half dozen or so computers that operate the car have a lot of useful information and a Prius-aware scanner is your best friend.
    • Manuals - the two shop manuals and electrical diagrams are also key to finding where things are located and supposed to work. I understand the body repair manual is also helpful.
    Now you've listed a pretty broad menu but these often have costs and require time and effort. So let me suggest priorities:
    1. Keep car running - the scanner and manuals are your primary roadmap where to find what is needed
    2. Through checkout - find what is broken or weak and put them at the top of the list.
    3. Enhancements - some are 'eye candy' and others have some return on investment. List each and apply a price-performance analysis to prioritize.
    4. Search message archives - the search function is pretty good about finding interesting threads and earlier discussions.
    Good luck!
    Bob Wilson

3. Jacques

Jacques New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota Prius and batteries life. You can also upgrade the battery on this link. Renewable Energy