1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice - Outlet caught fire

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cheung_francis, Nov 27, 2012.

1. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, thanks. That's pretty intense.

2. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Holy #$%%, 3$$$##$%%, $#%%$%$%#!!?!

ujhgkjhgkdsfjh lol

3. This was a really productive thread, I think everybody learned something.

4. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1 agreed:D

5. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All,

Sorry for not being on this forum recently, I wish I'd seen this earlier. In any event, I'd like to ensure that all of you are well aware of the Toyota stated requirements and recommendations for charging the Prius Plug-in.

First, always have a qualified licensed electrician check the home circuit and wall receptacle before using it to charge your Prius Plug-in.

Second, we highly recommend using a 15-amp dedicated circuit and heavy duty wall receptacle GFCI. The vehicle draws 12 amps continuously when charging using the 120V charging cable that comes with the vehicle.

Third, the use of extension cords of any kind is strictly prohibited. This is clearly noted in the owner's manual and is also on the warning label that comes attached to the 120V charging cable. Both of these sources outline clear safety requirements for charging your Prius Plug-in. There is risk of fire, shock and other if these instructions are ignored so please take them seriously.

We've also partnered with Leviton, our approved provider for charging needs (either 120V or 240V). For information on their products and services, including an in-home assessment, please contact Leviton at 1-855-5-plugin or www.leviton.com/toyota.

This is not the exhaustive list so please review all charging requirements/recommendations in the owner's manual and the label attached to your 120V charging cable before using your Plug-in.

Best,
    Erica Gartsbeyn

Prius Product Manager
    Toyota USA

Attached Files:

HTMLSpinnr, cwerdna and CharlesH like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this should be added to the faq sticky.

7. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the problem with Leviton is they require a $100.00 deposit before they perform an estimate and if you decide to go with another contractor or decide not to do the install b/c of cost you're out $100.00 bucks:cry:

lensovet likes this.
  8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco, what should we add specifically? There's already a note about extension cords. Do we want to add something about aluminum wiring?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was just thinking, put erica's whole message in there. it's obvious toyota doesn't want us messing around and not everyone reads the manual. perhaps the faq can be: do i really need a dedicated circuit for charging? after that, they're on their own.

10. ///////// People just have to use thier good judgement. At home I can assure myself that the garage outlet has nothing else on it except the Prius. Outlets outside are no guarantee, but the ones I use all have Grd Fault interrupts, so that's assuring. As far as the extension goes, I have checked mine at home with the KiloWatt Meter, the current draw is the same. As well as E and P. Overall the advice is good for people who have no conception of current draws, loads, heat generated, etc. the 20 Century has come and Gone, so some people will still have to learn.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. but toyota's advice protects people from themselves, just like any good building code. people will always cut corners, some to their detriment. it should also be priuschat's 'official' advice.

12. T R U E

B U T, Like every other corporation, it's all about self protection, the corporations !

lensovet likes this.
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Regarding NOT using an extension cord and this relates to why the cord is so short between the brick and the 120 volt end that you plug into the wall, see these:
    My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Using Extension Cord with 110V Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Included EVSE hanging when plugged-in - FIXED
    My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Included EVSE hanging when plugged-in - FIXED (Ingineer is pEEf here and runs evseupgrade.com)

To me, it boils down to safety, code compliance and liability. Someone might have aluminum wiring, wires plugged into slots in outlets instead of screwed on, crappy electrical system at home, loose outlet (which heats up at the prongs) on a non-dedicated circuit combined with an extension cord of limited gauge that might also be/get damaged...

14. TY for the links. This is all stuff I think about. In a heavy storm, I would not plug in, outside at all. For apartment dwellers, it can be a serious problem.

It is part and parcel of mans nature to mess around. You sound like some of my in-laws. What one calls messing around is because they cannot comprehend what you are doing, so you are going to break it by messing around. Now Tesla, he was always getting electrocuted because of his messing around, fortunately for him it wasn't fatal. And we are talking of HIGH VOLTAGE.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love messing around.:p i just don't think it should be promoted here.

16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can only get electrocuted once. However, you can get shocked many times.:whistle:

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Priuschat isn't in the business of "giving advice". Members can give advice, but Priuschat isn't going to claim responsibility for the content.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. in fact, there's probably a legal disclaimer somewhere when you agree to terms to join.