1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice - radiator fan blades broke off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alekska, Jan 5, 2015.

1. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi all,

I have a 2005 Prius with ~ 160 k miles. Last week while changing the oil I noticed the blades are separated from the fan motor on the passenger side radiator fan. It looks like the blades assembly (plastic) broke off the shaft. Blades lean happily on the radiator, with a rugged hole in the center of the blades assembly.
    Now when its winter and I dont use the AC, I should be ok. Radiator is blocked 80% anyway. But by Spring I would like to fix that. Blades are ~ $60 from the dealer. My question is - How to remove the 2-fan assembly ? Is it a lot of work or an easy fix? I see a lot of hoses and wiring around.

Thanks,
    - Alex

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Be aware when fitting new fans to the electric motors that they rotate in opposite directions, and have a different number of blades. They will fit in the wrong positions.
    This means that if they are inadvertently swapped over the fans try to blow air out of the front grill instead of drawing it in causing problems with the AC, and possible engine overheating. They are not difficult to change.

John (Britprius)

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks John,
    I will count the blades and will make sure rotation is correct

Alex