1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Advice re: 2010,11, 12 Used-Toyota Certified..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LukeToyo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. LukeToyo

LukeToyo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not currently own a Toyota Prius but here are some options the dealer has for me under the Costco Certified Used program:

2010 Grey Colored (blah!) cloth interior with Rear Camera and GPS 22,000$ w/18K miles.

2011 Silver colored with all options except moon rook, 29,000$ w/8,000 miles

2010 White Colored, cloth interior 20,500$ and 43Kmiles

I'd love to get a basic 2012 Prius New but I'm not sure if any dealers carry new 2012s anymore - maybe they are all sold.

I don't want to be taken for a "ride" by the dealer (no pun intended) and I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to stick to the one dealer Costco has picked for me or if I should branch out because I'm in an Urban area. Which year to you like best for the third gen prius? What's a reasonable price to expect to pay? Does it really matter all that much - the difference between 20K and 40K miles on a Prius?

Thanks in advance..

2. LukeToyo

LukeToyo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the help....Luke

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota might help you when comparing equipment levels on '10 and '11 Priuses. Ignore the prices, they're old.

There were significant changes to equipment levels for the '12. As for no new '12s, well, I'm not surprised.... '13 Priuses starting showing up awhile ago.

As for 20K vs. 40K miles... well, the basic warranty is 3 years/36K miles, so that'd be totally gone on the 40K mile car. The powertrain warranty is 5 years/60K miles...

I don't track prices of Priuses much, but unfortunately, for buyers, it seems Priuses hold their value pretty well. The price on the 2010 you listed w/43K miles doesn't sound very good. See Help me choose '11 Prius please. II or III? | PriusChat as to why. The prices I listed there were NEW Priuses. The friend I mentioned got her new '11 Prius right at the end of 2011.

4. atari56

atari56 Snappin' necks and cashing checks.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you young? I bought my first new car (2011 Prius 2, blizzard pearl) in Feb of 2012. I got mine for 20,500 including iPod adapter and floor mats, tonneau cover. I was 27 at the time of my purchase and when I showed up they tried offering me CPO prius much like you're quoting. I took out my iPhone and showed them the prices of what other local dealers were offering (21,500). I told them to match/beat that price and then we would start negotiations. They tried giving me BS about how other dealers were trying to unload those prius blah blah blah. I got up to leave and they quickly agreed to the 21,500 price point.

Long story short, I didn't buy the car that day. I left and told them to call me when they would include my options at my price point...low and behold three days later I received a call and went back and walked out with my new prius at the price I wanted.

I say see what new prius are going for in your area, the prices you've quoted above seem too high to me. But gas prices have changed since Feb 2011.

I only bring up the age issue because I felt they were tryin to pull a fast one on me because I look relatively young.

See what others have to say about the more contemporary prices.

5. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you checked the inventory at all 10 Toyota (I just did a quick count, may be more!) dealers in your area? I got my 2011 on the last day of February in 2012 and that particular dealer had 3 2011s left on the lot. Other dealers had 4 and 5 left. Take a day and cruise the lots. We only have about 4 dealers in the local area, and they are probably small dealerships compared to the ones in the Seattle to Olympia region.

Good luck!!

6. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you willing to negotiate at all? The prices seem kind of high for a 2010 or 2011 when I've seen new Package 5's sell for only $1k more than the one with 18k miles.

The dealer where I bought mine has a 2013 pkg 2 Barcelona Red/Dk. Grey for $22,995. Another has $3500 off all 2012 4 and 5's.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    THIRTY THOUSAND for a two year old Prius???
    Dayum!!! :eek:
    I guess it's tax time again already.

I think I'd take a pass on all of them except maybe for the one you said "blah!" to.
    You're out on the left coast....so I dig the fact that Priuses are higher in your neck of the woods....but you know what? One of the many benefits that you're going to enjoy from being a Prius Owner is the fact that road trips are going to be cheaper!
    That can start the day you buy the car....
    Just sayin! ;)

You're picking a lousy time to buy since there are a lot of people who have tax refund checks burning a hole in their back pockets. However (comma!) that doesn't mean you have to get shanked by your dealer. CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) is a good option if you want to get a used car that has a somewhat verifiable pedigree for a little bit less than what you would pay for a new one. You pay a little bit more.....you get a little bit more.
    Just remember....there's a reason that somebody else illuminated the "change owner" light on your prospective "new baby".
    Base models tend to hold more of their value, since there is a huge mark-up on options.....especially for Priuses. There's nothing wrong with rolling large if you're into that kind of thing, but if you're a frequent buyer or a hyper-commuter then it can get to be an expensive habbit.

Shop around!!!!
    Make an informed purchase.
    Usually I cast a very wide net when I shop for a vehicle, and the trip to the dealer is mostly about signing papers and driving home. :)
    Get pre-qualified for a loan through a Credit Union. That always makes the negotiating a lot easier, since when they ask "how much are you looking to spend?" you can reply: "I've already spent $XX,000. I just need to know who to tell the bank to make the check out to....YOU or the people down the street. :) "

Good Luck!

BCP and TwoUnderPar like this.