1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice - should I move from Gen2 to Gen3 or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by maxster256, Jan 8, 2017.

1. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the past year I've been a happy owner of 2007 Prius with 166k miles on it and no problems whatsoever. Recently I got a very, very good offer for it and I'm wondering whether I should sell it and buy the Gen3 Prius, buy the newer Gen2 with lower mileage or keep it. I can buy a 2011 Gen3 Prius in a base version with 180k on it for about 7977$.

My main concern is the reliability of Gen3 Prii in comparison to Gen2 models. I've heard a lot of positive feedback about the high mileage Iconic Prii, but I haven't been able to find much information about the Gen3's. Is it safe to buy high mileage 2011 Prius, or should I stick to something with less miles (or km's)? Also, is the Gen3 much better than the Gen2 in terms of comfort or economy?

I'd be thankful for your honest opinions and any help ;)

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    For your current 2007 - have you had any indication that the HV battery is degrading? If not, it is probably nearing then end as many owners have reported having failures and needing repair or replace at your car's age and mileage. If the overall condition of the car is good, and you are not overly concerned with its upcoming maintenance requirements, I would probably keep it.

For the 2011, you probably haven't heard to many maintenance issues simply because the Gen-3 batteries don't seem to be failing in any large numbers yet. In the US, the Gen-3s are still under time in service warranty; so few issues have been reported.. Other maintenance requirements have been reported but not in large numbers. You might browse the Gen-3 Maintenance threads to learn what owners are reporting and see if any cause concern should you decide to trade cars.

3. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since I bought my Prius last June the only thing I had to replace was a 12V battery. There's no indication that anything is wrong with the battery pack so far, and overall the car works, looks and feels great for its age/mileage.

The Gen3 Prius' warranty has already expired, since Toyota only provides us Europeans with 5 years/100,000 km's. Since it's sold by a dealer from the other part of the country, I'd have to check at Toyota service if everything is fine with it to be completely sure. From what I see, however, there aren't many major problems with that generation - but there aren't as many high mileage clubs as on Gen2's forums on Priuschat ;).

I can also spend a bit more to buy 2009 Gen3 Prius with the same mileage, but already replaced battery pack, or spend about 10371$ on 2010 with 57k - the latter of which might be however too much.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Do your "due diligence" and let us know your decision. Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.

5. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will, thanks!

6. nate16

nate16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my gen3 2011 for 5555.55 with 156k -- one owner, dealer serviced. It's great and I would recommend it as long as the car checks out.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With over six years of data on the Gen 3, I'm sticking a fork in it and saying it is just as reliable as a Gen 2. If you're perfectly happy in your 2007, there is no reason to sell it.

When you do upgrade I think the Gen 3 is worth it's higher price. It gets slightly better fuel economy with more power. The HVAC system on the Gen 3 is enough for me not to consider a Gen 2 unless I find an incredible deal. My coworker has to use steering wheel controls for HVAC because the touchscreen is broken.

FWIW, I reluctantly purchased a 2012 Prius for solo carpool access. I always considered the Prius too much compromise just for fuel economy before that. I was so impressed by my 2012 that I purchased a used 2005 Prius as our second vehicle.