1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need buying advice from the pros... 2012 PiP Advanced...

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by minnyprius, Dec 15, 2015.

1. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good evening, everyone! I've been reading this forum for years... I've been wanting a Prius since the Gen2 caught my eye as a Toyota salesman back in the day... But haven't been able to afford one... until possibly now!

I apologize if this question is annoying to some, but I over-analyze things and need some thoughts from people who have more experience with these cars than I do.

I'm in Minneapolis, and the only source locally to get a PiP is a local dealer that seems to love gobbling these up from around the country, and then charging way too much for them.

I found one from another source, however... a 2012 PiP Advanced with 50K Miles and in my preferred color... I've negotiated a price of $16,700. Is this a smart buy? Should I hold off until after the 2016s are out, hoping it might drop the price even more? Or, being in a tough market for these things, should I jump on it?

I'm hoping to get 10 years of service out of this car... and have it paid off in 2-3 years.

Thanks so much for your time and opinions!

2. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What's the price of an equivalent non PIP? You also haven't stated how many miles you would drive in those 10 years of service.

3. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drive about 15K per year.

I feel I need the heated softex power seat with lumbar for my back and winters, and one "requirement" for my next car is adaptive cruise control, so that would limit me to a Prius 5 with ATP... those are hard to come by. I found one 2014 Prius 5 without ATP, with 18,000 miles with an asking price of $21,500. The closest match I could find was a 2012 with ATP, 41K miles at $17900, but it's 1600 miles away...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jump on it.(y)

minnyprius likes this.
  5. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks!! I've got the loan approved, just waiting for them to get back home from vacation now, and hope to have it by Christmas, if not, then by New Year's Eve!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    btw, mine is from april 2012, and has 38,000 miles. it's like brand new. you're getting $20,000. of a car that's just broken in. congratulations, makes me look like an idiot.(n)

7. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bisco, you can never compare a car deal from one month to the next... When you buy a car, or sell stocks, or anything like that... you have to be happy with the deal you got, and then never compare it to another again, because there will always be a better deal. Several times I've passed on a car that I thought was the best deal ever, thinking I was making a big mistake... This deal is way better than any of those. And it'll probably go that I'll feel good about this deal today, but 2 months from now, when the 2016's are out, I'll possibly feel like an idiot for not waiting for another potential price drop. But who knows... gas prices could jump, and Prius could go up, too... Just never know. Which makes it so frustrating, but fun, at the same time...

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i'm still loving my pip, no regrets.(y)

minnyprius likes this.
  9. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well.... I've pulled the carfax, checks out great, all maintenance done at 5K intervals, no accidents, personal lease vehicle... I'm sold. Going to see it in person either Tuesday or Wednesday, and hope to have it in possession by the end of Thursday at the latest! CAN'T FRIGGEN WAIT!!!!!!

bisco likes this.
  10. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    UPDATE!!! Put a deposit down today! They're fixing/painting the rear bumper, and I pick it up Christmas Eve!!! Can't wait! 36 hours or so, and I'll be a PiP'er!!

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base