1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Electric A/C Compressor replaced with A/C flush, Help finding Cheaper Shops?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by comatoes, Jun 24, 2016.

1. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all, I believe that my Prius needs to have the A/C compressor replaced (with a used one from Ebay) and to have the lines flushed to get the old regular a/c fluid out of the system. Does anyone know where I can find a local shop that does this? I live near Baltimore, MD. Thanks!

Here's my other thread that helped diagnose the problem if you would want to see it: Contaminated A/C System - Dealer: $6600 Cheaper Options? | PriusChat

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Have you tried simply filling with R134a?

3. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No I haven't. Would I drain the old somehow?

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since you are opening it up, I think a pro would evacuate the system and make sure there is no moisture in there before adding back refrigerant. They also would have the tools to recover whatever charge is in the system when you start. Better if it doesn't go into the atmosphere.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    DId you get a P0AA6 that the dealer said is your A/C compressor?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I have an ac compressor for sale....

7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    All three of my Prius' needed R-134a added this summer, 03, 07 and 08 years. Each took somewhere around 6oz, so I'm inclined to think you might be in the same boat IF you DIDN'T get a P0AA6 that was traced to the compressor.

If you got that error, it's not just the oil.

Buy JC's compressor, a vacuum pump ($90), as set of manifold gauges ($40) and refrigerant/oil ($30). You will be proud of yourself.

Steve

8. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this really all it will take to do this change myself? I can borrow the gauges from Autozone or another store. How hard is it to swap the compressor? I thought it was high voltage.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, is anybody bothering to read the original poster's other thread on this topic?

It matters to know the reason the work needs to be done. In this case it seems the system has had non-ND11 oil injected into it, leading to an electrical ground fault in the compressor.

That oil is throughout the system, it isn't coming out with a simple evac and recharge, and it will happily do the same thing to the next compressor that gets installed.

Toyota was quoting to replace all the parts of the system that are now contaminated with that oil. (One reason their quote is really high is that they have the entire inside A/C unit assembly to R&R, instead of taking it apart and replacing just the evap, valve, and tubes, which would be about $3k less).

There is another post on here somewhere that reports success with doing a very thorough chemical flush. So maybe that works too, if it's done right.

But just pretending the problem isn't there, recharging it and destroying another compressor, probably isn't a promising way to go.

-Chap

10. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    There's enough evidence to suggest that the 1MR resistance of the PAG oil vs. the 10MR resistance of the hybrid ester oil isn't as catastrophic as some suggest. MOST of the oil comes out with an evac. I suspect getting most of the oil out is all that is needed.

If a chemical flush can be done economically (and are the chemicals as non-conductive as the oil?), then it's worth a try.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've never known for sure, is the only issue the resistance of the oil itself, or could it be the oil chemically degrading the insulation of the motor windings?

-Chap

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I've always understood it as it's the slight conductivity that ultimately breaks down the insulation due to current flow where it's not supposed to be.

The evacuation procedure in the manual instructs one to run the A/C system for 10 minutes to "pick up" the oil out of the system. I believe at that point the vast majority of the oil is in circulation and is removed with an evacuation.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess that leaves the question, how much 'vast majority' is enough to be safe, given the warnings about even so much as using a manifold gauge that was ever used in the past with the wrong oil. (To be honest, I've seen that warning repeated by a lot of PriusChatters but I've never looked for it in a Gen 2 or later manual to be sure that's where it comes from ... I assume it is, and not just something repeated by PCers for yuks.)

-Chap

14. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, I made this mistake hoping to fix my A/C on the cheap. That was in May. But there is a glimmer of hope; see here:

High Voltage A/C Compressor Oil Issues | Automotive Career Development Center

I will be relying on said hope soon. I just found out about it and it has not been fixed yet.

hope this helps. Update with success or failure, will do the same.

15. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE POST

Hi all. I figured I would update. I made the decision to buy a used compressor off of ebay (2009 77k miles, $100). I found a Toyota dealer that would install a used part. I had them install flush, install the new compressor, fill (I'm not exactly sure the order they did it yet).

Turns out one of the high voltage wires was chewed through!!!!!!! So I'm not 100% sure that the problem was the contamination of the a/c fluid at all.

This makes me optimistic on this fix lasting. Toyota charged $450 to install the new compressor and flush and fill. I couldn't find another shop that would flush and fill the high voltage system in Md/PA.

#15 comatoes, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well played!(y)

comatoes likes this.
  17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was wondering what you were charged for the replacement compressor power cabling and its installation? Or did you also buy that through eBay?

18. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had bought a used compressor with cabling off of ebay for $100. The installation, flush and fill was $450.