1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need guidance on diagnosing Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Zedpi, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Zedpi

Zedpi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "Check Hybrid System" warning came on a while ago, and since then I have been looking around to see how to confirm whether it is the hybrid battery before I commit to buying one. I have an OBD II scanner that I have used to reset the DTC(warning came back). I have also managed to get techstream running with a mini vci but I have no clue how to use it to diagnose the battery.
    Side note, the MAF sensor code came on at the same time, I don't suppose that is related to the hybrid warning?
    Codes: P0A80(hybrid system), and P010A(MAF sensor)

I would appreciate any knowledgable advice on how to proceed in troubleshooting.
    Thanks!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

If you have Techstream working, next to the codes will be a snowflake icon. That will provide a way to look further into the displayed codes by clicking on it:).

Have you checked to make sure the MAF sensor is plugged in? Tried cleaning it? The two systems are not related, so just another thing to investigate ;).

There is also the hybrid ECU screen available on Techstream where you can check individual block voltages. If one is 1.2 volts lower than the rest, a module is bad:cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Zedpi

Zedpi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you very much Raytheeagle. I have cleaned the MAF sensor (and reset DTC) but it still gave me the code. Since then I've purchased a new MAF sensor, I'll see if that fixes it. The reason I asked if they were related is that both codes trip at the same time, but I guess thats because they were reset at the same time?

As for techstream, what version should I be using? It seems that the 13.00.022 one I got is missing some features(or they're hidden?). Things like "health check", "monitor", and, "configuration" don't appear to be where some videos/screenshots indicate they are.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have version 10.30.028 and it has the hybrid ECU option menu. Version 13 should as well;).

When you open up Techstream and it connects to your vehicle, one of the options will be the Hybrid ECU (I forget its exact name) button. Click on that and it should take you to the area that has hybrid specific information :).

5. Zedpi

Zedpi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Coming back a month later... I have since decided its time to buy a new battery: I had too much trouble with the techstream software I was using; I then decided to use the Dr. Prius app to do a life expectancy test (score was 29.73% capacity and block 10 seemed weak). The end of my battery life was confirmed when the engine had trouble starting and shook voilently after being parked in 90F+ heat.

Now the question comes down to what to buy. I thought it would be useful to share what I've found:

Bumble Bee Batteries:
    "BeeLine" Rebuilt - $1050 + $235 ship
    "BeeMax" New OEM 6.5Ah(standard perfomance option) 1yr warranty $1949 + $235 ship

Greebean (lifetime warranty):
    Rebuilt $1649

GreentecAuto(currently has a sale):
    Rebuilt 1yr warranty $1000
    New cells OEM 4yr warranty unlimited mile - $1850.00
    If mobile install +$350 (for TX)

Newpriusbatteries (self install cells):
    new non-OEM 2yr 25k mi warranty $1600

After searching through all of this it seems that the best option would be a new OEM from Greentec. Second to that would be Greenbean which has changed their 5yr warranty to a lifetime warranty. Does anyone have any expirience with their batteries (particularly in hot climates)?

As for the MAF problem, my new MAF sensor didn't do the trick; I'll be doing some of the recomended maintenence mentioned in other threads for the EGR and intake manifold.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’d go with the toaster kit or the bumble bee pack ;).

Have fun performing the preventative maintenance :).

7. Pseudonymm

Pseudonymm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My $20 cable came with a version of Techstream which had the important menus missing as well. A solution is to track down older versions of the software from the web. A lot of trouble, indeed, and total waste of time. Maybe the more expensive modern firmware 2.0.4 cables work with the newer releases of Techstream.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How many miles on your 2010? Makes me nervous. I have a 2010 with 96,000 miles, got 83% with Dr. Prius a few months ago.

10. Zedpi

Zedpi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you are fine. Of course, I'm just another Prius owner with no actual expertise on the subject, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. My Prius has almost 150,000 mi. I live in Texas and the hot climate may be a large factor as to why my battery died relatively soon. %83 doesn't sound bad. As I understand it, the battery has 2x the capacity it needs so it can last longer as the capacity goes down. Of course, I don't know if Dr. Prius measures total capacity available, or capacity available vs capacity needed.

royrose likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours is sitting in a garage that doubles as a solar oven every afternoon that it's hot 'n sunny. I've got a thermostat controlled intake/exhaust fan in one of the windows, but it's pretty much overwhelmed. Every afternoon the double garage doors bake in the sun, radiate it inwards. And double whammy if the car's been driven, sitting in there, hot. I crack open a second window, and the back door, sometimes, but not that often: I'm concerned someone might wander in, make an unauthorized tool deduction. :(

According to my phone we're hotter than LA right now, so don't start up about the Great White North lol.

I'm seriously thinking to get some insulated, near-white garage doors.

Ah sorry for the hijack, just on my mind.

#11 Mendel Leisk, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You insulated your garage door:whistle:?

Walls insulated?

I’d give either a try and crack the garage door in the afternoon to vent the hot air;).

Unless the hot air is in the garage for another reason:p.

My wife says I’m full of hot air from time to time:love:.

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you reckon your battery gets hotter in your "oven" than mine does in a dark car in full sun in South Carolina?