1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help: 2017 Toyota Prius Prime Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by brian pontious, Nov 21, 2020.

1. cirruspete

cirruspete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I repaired a badly cracked (in multiple places) wheel cover using a glue kit I bought from a vendor at a car show. He demonstrated how with his kit, many difficult-to-glue plastics can be repaired. The kits comes with two bottles of cyanoacrylate glue, in thick and thick viscosities, and a few other things...

The "secret ingredient" are two small bottles of white and black powderized plastic. The hardest thing to glue successfully was demonstrated to me: fixing plastic eyeglass frames. He had a bunch of old glasses and showed us how easy and fast it can be to create a very strong bond and repair.

For my wheel cover, the first thing was to clean it well - I used Spray nine and degreased the cracked areas quite well. Then I used clean paper towels and some rubbing alcohol to give it one final clean. I scuffed up the areas where I would be applying glue with sandpaper, and cleaned with alcohol again.

I applied some of the thicker glue to the major cracks, and sprinkled some of the black powered plastic onto the joints. This seems to cure the thick glue right away. The kit also comes with some accelerant, which when spritzed on one side of the plastic, promotes better adhesion; the accelerant will also instantly cure wet glue rock- hard.

To add overall strength I glued the center Toyota logo cap in place, by gluing its three tabs on the inner side of the cover.

I've since taken the wheel over off twice, and it survived when I had the new Toyo tires installed at our local tire shop two days ago.

As you can see, from a few feet away, you can hardly notice the repair. I keep the glues in a baggie in the refrigerator, as they advise. The glue has kept for over 2.5 years and remains fresh.

www.thegluesmith.com

upload_2020-12-5_6-34-41.png

upload_2020-12-5_6-33-40.png

upload_2020-12-5_6-32-42.png

Gokhan and Washingtonian like this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    LOL This called for a new wheel cover, not a repair. You may have found one in a junkyard as well.

3. cirruspete

cirruspete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "
    LOL This called for a new wheel cover, not a repair. You may have found one in a junkyard as well."

#22Gokhan, Today at 12:10M"

>>>>>>>>>> LOL The original post said one cover was badly cracked, as was mine. LOL

Gokhan likes this.
  4. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The hubcaps obscure the awesome looking stock wheels. Chuck 'em (or hang them on your garage wall), hose off the real-deals which hide below, pop some center covers over the hubs, then step back and enjoy your car's new-found beauty:

image10.jpeg

bluespruce, Mendel Leisk and Gokhan like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't call them "awesome". Functional, utilitarian, mundane, lol?

Salamander_King likes this.