1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help A.S.A.P Please dealer issues!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by padillde, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats absolutely not true. I provided several links for the very same mirror in my post above. It may be true you can't buy it from Toyota, but you absolutely can buy the very same mirror Toyota puts on the Prius with Homelink for much less than $450.

2. artistdr

artistdr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, IF they LIED about the after market mirror and !you can prove that! in your shoes I would raise enough h... to make it work! Don't let a lying manager get away with screwing you over! BUT without proof IN WRITING you likely would be out of luck.

We are 3 week owners of an 08 red Prius with 4 plus leather et al. Hope you get it done.

Alan

3. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe things are different with the 08 models, but I have an 05 base model Prius, and the dealer added the dimming Homelink mirror (and a cd changer).

4. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Awwww somebody's been feeding y'all a line of crap! I have personally installed Gentex mirrors with homelink in several Priuses. Even as recent as last week! Find a dealer that is willing to work with you by checking other models of Toyota for a Gentex mirror with Homelink. The only bit of caution when dealing with side curtain airbags is to route the wiring for the mirror tightly with the factory wiring that is already in place. That way, incase of an accident, (God Forbid!) the mirror wiring will not interfere with airbag activation. It simply requires a little more attention to detail.

5. dealerbadger

dealerbadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used to work for a Toyota dealership, and know for a fact that you can add an auto dimming mirror to a Prius. Dealerships generally don't want to do it because they will usually have a union shop that will charge really high rates for service. This cost will then be passed along to you, and more often than not the customer will say it is way too much money. That job is probably about a 3 hour and when you add the part to that cost you are probably looking at $500-$600 dollars for a mirror. As far as the 2006 vs. 2008 mirror goes, it is exactly the same, so don't worry about that.

In terms of returning the vehicle, the only way you can do that is if you trade the Prius in for something else. When you trade it in, they will give you a wholesale amount for the car you just bought, meaning you will instantly lose thousands. In the car business there is no window of time that allows customers the right to return a vehicle.

I recently left the car business and am working with customers on their behalf to help them when dealing with car dealers.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a union shop? have yet to see one of those.

most techs make $20 an hour or less flat rate, and most dealer rates are over $80 per hour now. so tell me who's making the money? :confused:

7. dealerbadger

dealerbadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I guess it would depend on your market if you see many union shops. Generally all dealerships in larger markets are union. If they are not, they have to pay similar wages to a union to retain employees.

You must be in a small market if most of the mechanics you know of are only making about $20 per hour, as that is about what they generally start out making upon completion of a tech school.

Also, I never implied mechanics were the ones making all the money. I realize the dealerships are the ones making the most. Several dealerships I worked at charged over $100 per hour for service, while the experienced techs made anywhere from $30-$35 per hour.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    one of the biggest toyota dealers in the southeast. in a fairly large metro area. have yet to even hear of a union shop.

one guy still only makes $25 an hour flat rate after having worked at the same place for 20+ years.

9. dealerbadger

dealerbadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow. That seems low. Maybe the difference in wages is due to a lower cost of living as well as a lack of state income taxes. I am in Chicago, and the guys here don't have to have much tenure at all to make over $25 per hour.

10. padillde

padillde New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK. Here's what the end result is. The dealer in the end swaped my superwhite #2 with 2100miles and no autodimming mirror with a brand new silver #3 with my beloved mirror. They gave me FULL CREDIT for the superwhite towards the purchase of my new #3. All i had to do is pay forthe difference in prices. They even chucked in a free appearance package they normally sell for $500, which includes the door gaurds, and a free portable navi system for the hassle of making wait about a month to resolve the issue. I'm not sure which navi it is but they ordered it for me. In the end they were very fair with me, and my salesman was very helpful with resolving the issue. Hope this helps anyone who encountered a similar problem.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the median home cost here is $248,300
    7% state income tax (in our bracket)
    2% food tax (all food items, not just junk food)
    6.75% local sales tax
    i don't know property tax rates, but people here pay a yearly tax on homes and vehicles
    ______

According to the Illinois Association of REALTORS latest report, the Chicago Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA) median home sale price for 2007 was $254,000
    IL Individual Income Tax rates: 1990 through 2007 3.00%
    6.25% il sales tax
    1% il tax on "qualifying" food
    couldn't find reliable property tax info

if anything cost of living is more here.
    you're sure you're talking about flat rate and not hourly return?

12. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Just an interesting side note here..... I USED to work at one particular dealer that was a corporate owned entity..... (I now work at a MUCH BETTER dealership which is family owned) The corporate place had a point at which union reps were to be coming in to speak with the techs about trying to unionize the shops (we were part of a large automall) The coporate "Lords of the Manor" made a counter offer in that they offered some "special perks" in the terms of money and bonuses. Perhaps not exactly legal..... but they got what they wanted.... no union.

On the other hand.... the top techs in my shop are well below $25 an hour flat rate.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats great! That dealer really went to bat to make good on their promise to you.