1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help/Advice on Buying

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by germanrick, Jan 27, 2018.

1. germanrick

germanrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm trying to decide which Prius to buy: 2012 Prius Liftback Five with ATP or 2012 Prius v Five without ATP. The Prius has 50k miles for $15k and the Prius v has 90k miles for $12k. I prefer the functionality of the wagon, but the hatchback will probably be ample. This vehicle will be used for transporting my husband's clients around town. The vehicle needs to be able to fit walkers, canes, and various other items for clients (they are primarily senior citizens). Will the Prius v wagon be easier for older clients entering and exiting the vehicle? Does the 8-10 mpg make a significant difference? Should I spend an extra $3k to get the hatchback with fewer miles? Any input will be appreciated! Thank you all so much!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't comment on access and egress, but i think it would be worth the 3k to go for the lower miles. we have never had a problem getting walkers and wheelchairs in the back of the lift back.

3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I personally would do the five. My first instinct is that it is overpriced, but the five with ATP is somewhat hard to find and the miles are low. A KBB check revealed that the price is actually not too bad - I think the $15K would even be a good price if it was the out the door price.

The ATP five has some goodies that people that own gen 4s even miss, like the heads up display and the lane keep assist that actually tries to keep you in the middle of the lane instead of just bouncing you back and forth when you cross a line. It also has dynamic cruise control.

I don't often ride in my Prius (it's a 2012 four) but when I do I am always amazed at how comfortable it is. It has the softex like the five would. The five will have bigger wheels that will improve handling but might cost a few MPG.

4. germanrick

germanrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Excellent! Thank you for your replies! I believe the Prius Liftback will be the best choice for our needs. I just hope it won't be sold before we try to pounce on it.

Kramah313 and Raytheeagle like this.