1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need HELP/ADVICE - Water Dripping / Leaking Under Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kizzy, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope this is the right forum for this post. I have had my 2008 Prius since December, and have never noticed this before.

For the past few days, after driving for a while and then returning home, I've noticed a small puddle of water forms underneath my Prius after parking it for a few minutes.

The water is dripping down from what looks like a grey metal drain pan that sort of crosses the Prius from side to side. There are several molded holes in that pan, and the water is dripping from there. From a front to back perspective, it's located near the centerpoint of the front tires, and slightly off center of the car toward the passenger side.

It is definitely clear water, and not coolant, oil, or any other sort of liquid, with no color or odor. When this first happened yesterday, I assumed it might just be runoff from washing my car earlier in the day. But it happened again today.

It has been quite hot (and humid) here in Los Angeles and I have been running the AC. Could the water be simply condensation drain-off from the AC? Or perhaps overflow from the cooling system? It seems like it might be the latter, as I've also noticed that when parking the car, I can hear a sort of quiet "whistling" sound, like the sound of air slowly escaping, or pressure being let out of a system. Does it sound like I might have a cooling system leak? The car has been driving fine to date. No emergency lights have illuminated on the dash.

I'm a little worried about this. Anyone else experience this, and is it normal for a Prius during summer? Should I take the car in?

-Alan

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't worry about it... it's the A/C. It's August and humid. :)

Mike

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alan,

Condensation is very typical of nearly all A/C systems in most cars I've owned or driven. I've not located the area that the "system" drains from on the Prius yet but what you are describing sounds exactly like condensation drip and is normal. Someone else will post better information I'm sure. :)

4. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can't remember having a car that didn't drip in humid weather. My Prius is the same as all the rest. Not to worry. :)

5. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow. Three replies in twelve minutes. Can I just say I love PriusChat?

Thanks...

6. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes while waiting in traffic, my car will raise a rear tire and take a leak on the SUV next to me....

ClammyMantis, Elle W and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. clayton4115

clayton4115 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    lol thats a classic!

:D

8. bandorr2000

bandorr2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In fact, if you run your A/C , park, pull away later and DON"T see evidence of water you have a problem. Check that drain to make sure it is clear. My local dealer had a car (not a Prius) that had water inside because of a spider clogging up the tube. Lot of damage to the floor material.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an intimate relationship with the ac evap hose. Its a little black hose located a few inches behind the pass front wheel about 2 feet in. You can just barely reach it if you lay on the ground behind the front pass. wheel. Water should always drip out of it with the ac on. Just like at home.

Elle W likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No worries! That's the latest techno device, for future mods. Your prius has its own hydrogen supply unit. All you gotta do is separate the oxygen from it and you have your own permanent fuel source :D

11. abcdefgary

abcdefgary New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    On the subject of A/C, can someone clarify for me whether the system runs on the battery, or the engine?

12. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The compressor is electric, so it runs off the high-voltage battery. When that is drained, the ICE will kick on to recharge, but one can sit in Park and "Ready" mode with the AC on and the ICE off, until the battery needs recharging.

13. abcdefgary

abcdefgary New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    thanks

14. Reda Mohamed

Reda Mohamed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same complaint in the same model. I bought this car around 15 days ago and I am in a waarranty of 3 months from the dealer so I am afraid about that.
    Please I need reassurance from you.
    It is colourless, odourless, not oily fluid, from under the engine passenger side.
    Toyota Prius 2008.

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Given the time of year and your location, one might guess your water pump in leaking.

Now would be a great time to check all of the fluids in the vehicle, before driving it again.

When checking fluid levels for the engine, be sure to check the radiator and not just the overflow container.

Do you have a copy of the owner's manual?

How many miles of this vehicle?

Have you asked the local "Toyota Dealer" for a print out of this vehicles maintenance and recall history?

#15 SFO, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is colourless, odourless, not oily fluid, it may just be condensate run off from the air conditioner. Being a RHD, that would be from under the engine LHS, yes?

Do you use the A/C?

#16 dolj, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Neal A

Neal A New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,
    Kind of a dead post but I’m having the same issue. Normally I would call it condensation from the AC. But I haven’t been running the AC as it’s winter. I’ve been using the defroster. After a 45 min commute I notice not long after parking that about a 8 ounce dip session begins. It’s colorless, odorless, and not warm. Any help would be appreciated. It’s been in the mid 40’s here 80% humidity

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In modern cars, the defroster makes some use of the AC too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Skibob, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I know my third gen will "stealth activate" AC (the active cooling, compressor running AC) if I set vent mode to heat/defog (the symbol showing windshield and heat to feet). Might be similar on second gen? What mode are you running.

Note: the AC button on mine has a light, which normally indicates when it's on. It's not lit, but I've seen "watts" values other than zero, monitoring with ScanGuage, a few years back.

If you were running heat/defog mode, and wanted to test if AC was running without indication: switch to another mode, say high/low, and see if you get a humidity "dump" within a minute or two.

fuzzy1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And not only that, but the reason the car turns on the A/C in defog mode is to condense the water out of your 80% humid air, so the windows don't fog. The water goes out the drain hose under the car.