1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help! blower fan not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by john1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. john1

john1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My blower fan stop woking. I connected the fan to 12v & it comes on. check the fuse & they are good. I borrow my sisters prius to swap out some parts like the ac control mudule, blower motor contol, & some relays. I tried her parts on my car but fan does not comes on, I also tried my parts in her car to check if they are working ok & they are. When I turn the heat or ac on, all the bottons work as they should as well in the steering wheel control. not sure why the blower its not coming on. The last time it was working it was on med speed and then it stop working, but when it stop working it smelled like some plastic or wire burning for a few seconds. Does anyone knows were else I should look at or what can be the problem so I can fix it?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's also a relay, HTR, in the driver's side cabin fuse box. I hope it is that, because the next possibility is the A/C amplifier.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you have a wiring harness problem. Maybe a wiring harness connection developed a bad connection, heated up and finally failed.

I suggest you obtain the electrical wiring diagram for your model year at techinfo.toyota.com so that you can follow the flow of 12V current with a digital multimeter, and figure out where it no longer is present.

1 person likes this.
  4. john1

john1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I also checked those relays in the drivers side fuse box but that wasn't it, the relays are still good.

5. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you have a good ground? Should be 0.1-0.2 Ohms, measuring the connection at the blower motor controller wire harness to the chassis. There has also been some discussion of problems between the MFD and Gateway ECU sending the command to the A/C amplifier.

6. john1

john1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I check the ohms today & nothing its showing up when I checked the 3 wires that go into the blower motor controller, I also check the 3 wires with the volt meter but no voltage shows up when heater/ac is turned on.

7. john1

john1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also forgot to mention that the AC amplifier which I was calling it the ac control mudule was also checked on my sisters prius and it works fine, I also put hers in my car but no luck.

8. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've posted the portion of the service manual that deals with this. I don't understand what "nothing its (sic) showing up" means. Does that mean that none of the three pins of the wiring harness showed low resistance to chassis ground?

Attached Files:

9. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have an 05, and it's doing the same thing. Sometimes, my blower motor works, and sometimes it doesn't. Now, I can't get it to come on at all. Which brought me to this thread.

When you figure it out, please post your fix. Thanks.

10. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I went ahead and took the proactive route, and took the car to the dealer and had them install a new fan motor. That fixed my issue.

11. aronaut

aronaut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a notorious problem and an easy DIY job. My blower fan (2008 Prius) started going bad about a year ago, I would have to kick under the glove compartment to jumpstart it. I bought a replacement fan online for $50 - removing the old one and installing the new took 30 min. Before installing the new one I compared the two fans, powering them with my workbench power supply. The old one required a lot of amperage to get turning, or I had to physically spin it with my hand to jumpstart it. The new fan started right up with low amperage, this proves that these fans wear out over time or the motor brushes get dirty.

Tools: 1 phillips screwdriver, 1 size 20 star driver (or use small flat head)
    To take out the old fan remove the glove compartment to reveal the white plastic fan housing and filters (while your at it clean or replace the filters). Then remove the kick plate down by the floor mat (it snaps out). behind the kick plate there is a metal transmission control unit held by 2 philips screws to the fan housing, remove this. Then remove the entire bottom plastic plate of the fan housing, it is attached by 5 phillips screws. After removing the screws you have to kind of wiggle the plate out of there. with the plate gone you have access to the blower motor, it is attached by 3 star head screws, remove them and pull the fan out and unplug its wire harness. That's it, just install the new blower fan and put back together. works like new.

Here's some photos of the job:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. edskilove

edskilove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a part number for the fan? My blower motor in my 2008Prius is squeaking and needs to be replaced too. Thanx.

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just pull it out, clean it, lube it with some 3 in one oil. Reassemble. That should take care of the squeek!

14. Rum Runner

Rum Runner Less Gas, More Rum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 06 Prius blower motor will not not start sometimes. The problem is somewhere in the blower motor starting circuit. I can start it manually by removing the cabin filter, reaching my fingers down inside and giving the fan blades a spin. The motor will then run until I shut off the ignition.
    I will pull the motor out for repair or replacement in the spring or sooner if it quits completely.
    Does anyone have knowledge of those starting circuits?

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no "starting circuit". The fan motor is just a DC motor. The problem is that due to age, the motor no longer produces sufficient starting torque to get the fan spinning.

You might try removing the existing fan to see if you can clean it up and get the motor to reliably spin up. If not then just replace it.

16. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's due to brush wear, as it is a commutator type motor. If you are the sort of DIY that can take it apart and clean the commutator and replace the brushes, it will work well again.

If not, then go ahead and replace.

17. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Figured this must be my problem (blower gone bad) after reading this last night. I had noticed it was delayed in starting up a very few times over the past few weeks or months. Then, yesterday it wouldn't start at all. I followed your cue here last night and removed the glove box and banged on it. Started right up then and is still working! I've ordered a new $52 blower off of eBay and will install as soon as it arrives. Mine only has nearly 195K miles on it!

18. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New blower arrived this afternoon. Socked it in, replaced all the panels, and had all my tools picked up in about 45 minutes. Good for another 195K miles. Thanks to all who posted before me. Helped me realize what I needed to do!

Too bad the hail storm last weekend trashed the car. Damage estimated at nearly $2,800. :( I have two other vehicles which suffered almost as bad, but I haven't had them estimated yet. Sorry, I know that's off topic, but I had to whine a little.

19. tommyh

tommyh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Followed this post and fixed my AC with a new blower from Pep Boys. $83 and about 45 minutes from start to finish

20. centralorlandopc

centralorlandopc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine is starting to act up. Will disassemble over the next couple of weeks.