1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help clearing p0303

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SAV man, May 1, 2019.

1. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you have a “hybrid aware” scan tool to pull codes, or Techstream?

Is the engine in “Maintenance Mode” when the misfire starts?

If you have a spare available, change the upstream O2 sensor. It’s the one controlling the A/F ratio. If the signal is falling off, it could be leaning/enrichening the A/F ratio to the point of misfire.

padroo likes this.
  2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The ECUs generally have modes which they use as default when a sensor is disconnected or when starting the car from cold. Think parameters and subroutines coded into the program that controls the air/fuel mixture. They could be reprogrammed with a specialty tool but that is beyond what most can do. Once running warm, the ECU runs a different subroutine that gradually learns from the values received from the Mass Airflow Sensor in the intake and the O2 sensors located in the exhaust combined with accelerator position, knock sensor and .....

I forget, have you swapped the #3 coil with another to see if the problem follows the coil? Examined the spark plug comparing it's color with others? Checked the anti-freeze level to see if it is low and could be leaking through a gasket into that cylinder?

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How does it run at WOT (wide open throttle) ? The reason I ask is it is when a car runs the richest.
    There are two types of misfires, one without fuel and one without spark. People that are good at reading scan data can tell which one it is.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not direct injection, the injectors protrude into the intake port, not the combustion chamber. So not sure how compression could be effected. Still, an improperly seated injector could cause a vacuum leak I think?

5. SAV man

SAV man New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Yes new plugs coil pack have been switch multiple times I have eight to choose from and they all are good. No coolant missing, The color and burn pattern on plugs were excellent and uniform throughout all cylinders, Just cleaned EGR and cleaned reservoir, changed the upper O2 sensor. Idles great, When I'm cruising at any speed and feather the gas at two bars over half on the power gage it sputters with a miss and a put, when I let off the gas to half power it stops and runs good, when I step on the gas to over half on the power gauge it runs great. Also it runs better in power mode.

6. SAV man

SAV man New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Runs great at full throttle, also runs better in power mode.

7. SAV man

SAV man New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I have a zurich harbor freight special scan tool, and yes the engine was in maintenance mode I cleared it though. The miss fire is still there no codes yet. Going to have to drive it.

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you read you O2 sensor output? When I mentioned Open Loop and Closed Loop, the O2 sensor is not used at all in Open Loop. Open loop is used at start up and at WOT (wide open throttle). Your scan tool should show you when it switches between the two. If your misfire is gone in open loop it tells you one of the input not being used in closed loop is bad. I don't know all the inputs to the ECU but the O2 sensor is a biggie.