1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help deciding between a 2012 Prius C, a 2012 Prius, or 2003 Corolla with failing transmission

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by zevski, Mar 25, 2022.

1. zevski

zevski New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! Attempting to wrap my head around these options I came across this forum. I'm currently driving a 2003 Corolla that I inherited from my grandmother when she passed away in 2017. It had 78k miles on it and major drive-train issues that I got repaired when I got it (she lived near the ocean and there was corrosion damage to it), and I suspect that she did not stay on top of the regular maintenance during her final years. That being said, I've been using it for the past 5 years, keeping regular maintenance, and periodically having to replace/repair several engine components (sorry, I live in Puerto Rico and I don't know what the components are called in English- here they call them "bobinas" and they are somehow related to the spark plugs). Most recently, around the 100k mile mark a couple of months ago, the transmission has begun slipping, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth repairing (I got a quote for $1350 to get it repaired, with a 1 year warranty).

I would get a newer corolla, but I'm having hard time finding one withing my budget of $10-13k. I test-drove a 2012 Prius C at a used-car dealer today with 47k miles on sale for $10k that flashed a warning about the hybrid system, and after scanning the computer got code P3020. I called a hybrid-specialized shop that informed me that code is for a battery block, but that they are not worth repairing and that the battery should be replaced, which will cost about $3,000. The same shop is offering to sell me a 2012 Prius for $12500 that has 134k miles on it, with a 1 year service warranty with them and a recently replaced hybrid battery (2 years ago).

Ideally (although granted, this may very well be wishful thinking), I will be driving this car for the next 10 years or so. Based on my Corolla usage, I seem to average about 5k miles per year. So, these seem to be my options:
    1. Offer $7000 for the 47k mile prius C and spend another $3000 to get the battery replaced (unlikely they will accept, but maybe worth a shot, although I'm not enamored of the low-visibility out the rear window in this car). There is also a battery shortage which may limit my ability to get it repaired soon.
    2. Go for the $12,500 134k mile 2012 Prius with a 1-year warranty directly from a specialized hybrid repair shop
    3. Get the transmission replaced on my 2003 103k mile Corolla, while accepting that it may continue presenting more problems down the road, while I wait for a newer Corolla within my budget to appear on the market.
    Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated!

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not buy a Prius with a replaced battery pack unless it came with documented proof the battery pack was Toyota original equipment. There are a whole lot of companies that replace used batteries with other used batteries, which is a nearly worthless practice and results in batteries that can fail at any time. Also, I would never buy anything from a car dealer that offers a test drive in a vehicle where a warning light is on.

With the way the car market is currently, I would fix the transmission on the Corolla and keep saving up. If you want a Prius, 2016 or newer is the way to go, since that’s the latest generation and doesn’t have some of the issues of previous generations.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    agree, stay away from hybrids and get the corolla fixed for now. hybrids are expensive to repair with limited competent mechanics.
    then keep your eye out for a newer corolla or similar non hybrid while yours is still running well.

Montgomery likes this.
  4. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree fix the Corolla.

Montgomery likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bobinas = coil-on-plug.

Fix the Corolla, it'll cost less in the end.

If you had many, many miles to drive, the Prius could eventually save you more money. But there just aren't that many roads in Puerto Rico.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Parts are harder to find in your area for a Prius. Much easier for a Corolla.

7. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

You are from Puerto Rico? that's nice, i'm from Puerto Rico too, it's weird to find another person from my country here. If you need any help with your Prius C i can help you, i have replaced the brake booster assembly, brake pump assembly, and the hybrid battery, all by myself.

8. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Those used Prius C prices are too high, i got mine for $6,500 with 100,000 miles, keep looking because these prices are too high.

9. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It will cost less in the end if zevski does not travels long distances.

10. jgagne

jgagne Junior Member

From personal experience and that of a friend who has owned 3 Priuses...I would try to find one in your price range that has the highest package level (especially including one with Nav System). We have had our 2005 Prius since new, have 205,000 miles with only changing front brakes, main battery due to accident in about 2007 with 25,000 at the time, accessory battery 2x, and spark plugs 2x. I know smart phones have GPS, also Garmin (we have 2), etc, but built in is always easier and more comfortable. Plus....there are other luxury features they have with the higher packages. Resale is higher, and never many on market, but worth the wait for one. But, on that note, when you go to sell it, you will get higher resale also.