1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help deciding if Traction Battery is dying

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mwester, Jul 1, 2012.

1. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! My 2004 Prius has a little over 233,000 miles and is still running strong... but a few of months ago I noticed that the engine was working harder than normal when I first started out in the mornings. I checked the gauge on the MFD that displays the battery charge and could see that sometimes the battery would be almost depleted. (It would be showing the last two lines in purple.)

At first this seemed to happen only occasionally but now, several months later, it happens every morning and even after the car has sat without running for a couple of hours. It always charges back up after about 5 minutes of driving but I can tell it doesn't have the pep it used to have and passing a car at 55 will almost deplete the battery even when it is fully charged. I had been averaging 51-52 mpg but it's now averaging 43-44.

So, are these the signs of the traction battery crawling on it's last legs and if it is, has anyone tried replacing it with a used one? How can you make sure you're buying a "good" used battery and how hard are they to install?

Any info would be helpful... Thanks!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe you would get a response faster if posted in the Gen II forum?

The Prius v has only been released recently, so I don't think there is much experience with end of life questions regarding the HV traction battery.

3. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks! Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the wrong forum... I'll move it to the other...

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I don't think you can move it yourself. I've already reported it. One of the mods will move it.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Post is now moved to the proper forum. And as cwerdna mentioned, users cannot move their own posts. If you goto the proper forum afterwards you're only double posting the same post, not moving it. No biggie, it's all been moved now.

Good luck with the car, hope it's not something serious but that is alot of miles, congrats!

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To answer the question, I'd say "yes" those are classic symptoms of imminent battery failure. I suggest looking at the stickies in the gen II care maintenance & troubleshooting forum to start formulating a plan for replacement.

iPad ? HD

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since you are in NC, I suggest to give the folks at www.reinvolt.com a call.

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would concur and say those are definite signs of a weakening HV battery.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Contact reinvolt sooner rather than later.