1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help deciding... Prius 4 or 4 Touring?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ucla107, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You and I both! Although I have a G3, it's a model 4 with the sunroof/solar panel pkg. The HUD is on all the time set to display the speed and HSI. It really aids in hypermiling without taking ones eyes off the road. For what its worth, I use my sunroof quite a bit during the warmer months.

Merged

It was a great opportunity to use it today in Massland. Fortunately the G3 solar panel runs the blower fan on those Summer hot days. Does a great job keeping the interior cool.

#21 Bay Stater, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  2. ucla107

ucla107 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Too bad they went away with the solar roof though... i dont like how the Gen4 is just a small regular sunroof... what are your thoughts?

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    4th gen's front passenger seat is set noticeably lower than the 3rd gen's. IOW, more headroom for front passenger and btw, driver too.

krmcg likes this.
  4. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am not sure about this-- while you might be correct according to specs (I have not looked at them) my perception is the opposite.

I am 6-3 with short legs. On the 2016 with a power driver's seat, I have an inch or so of clearance above my head (no moon roof) and can angle the seat normally. On the passengers side, I need to angle my seat noticeably back so as to not brush my head.

On our 2010 without power seats (and without moonroof) I angle the seat normally on ether side and have plenty of head room.

This is my perception, anyway.

#24 ATHiker, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your post caught my attention, so I just got back from Fremont Toyota after measuring front and rear headroom and legroom in both 2016 gen4 Prius Two and 2015 gen3 Prius Two, no sunroof, using an angle meter for seatback angles..

In short, the gen4 Prius has more front headroom and legroom on both sides than gen3, but gen4 has a bit less rear legroom and headroom than the gen3. I used a magnetic angle meter to measure front seatback angles and just stacked fingers verticallly to measure pass through space between head and roofliner.

Lowering driver's seat full down and back (power or manual adjust doesn't matter), I set the seatback angle to 70 degrees measured just below the seam in center of seatback. Results:
    gen4 - 6 finger pass through space (4 from right hand, 2 on left, stacked)
    gen3 - 4 finger space

Sliding front passenger seat fully back, set seatback angle to 65 degrees. Results:
    gen4 - 4 finger pass through space
    gen3 - about 2 1/2 finger space, definitely not 3, definitely less than gen4

With front seats kept in above position, sitting behind them, left and right, results

gen4: knees definitely touching driver and passenger seatback, head just touching roofliner

gen3: about 2 finger space between knees and back of front seats, about 1" or so rear headroom.

So, again, gen4 has more front headroom and legroom, both sides than gen3, but less rear headroom and legroom.

And gen4 defintely has less glovebox space and no underfloor tray, holy mackerel :eek: I am still a bit intrigued by the gen4 Prius, but unfortunately it's overall a little small for my taste. Super long legs so need full size seat / car.

#25 cycledrum, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    krmcg likes this.
  6. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So the model with the sunroof does not have sunglass holder?! This is a surprise for me. I am battling between 3 and 3T (not looking into 4 because of the spare tire). And there were different considerations starting with 15" vs 17" wheels and ending with the fabric vs softex leather. My latest thought was to go with 3, but not having sunglass holder... It is a small thing, but it is amazing how attached we become to those small things. I also do use it EVERY SINGLE DAY. Without it where do I keep my sun glasses?! In California?

And I cannot care less about the sunroof. This in my mind tips the balance toward 3T again. Believe it or not sunglass holder trumps HUD in my view.

7. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 4 with sunroof, no sunglass holder...

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since I never had a sunglass holder I don't miss it. Can't you just add a sunglass clip to the visor? I have to have a sunroof -- not because I use it that much but I like the feeling of not being closed in. I just picked up my 2016 4 with AT today and it looks and feels great (I've had a 2006 and 2010 IV). I think I will use the HUD for the navigation, but I don't see the point of having the speedometer up there when there's a huge speedometer display on the main display anyway.

Bay Stater and krmcg like this.
  9. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Congratulations on your 4 with AT! Sunglass holder is very convenient thing to have. Honestly, after having it for 9 years, I was convinced it was standard on all models/cars. No, life will never be the same without :) I will stick with 3T.

PriusRos likes this.
  10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I'm disappointed that the sunroof is no longer the solar roof that came with the Gen III solar package. I loved the way that looked and the ventilation it provided on hot days.

Bay Stater likes this.
  11. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Same deal with my G3 model 4 with sunroof. One of my biggest complaints. Had a 2009 Camry with sunroof that had the overhead sunglasses compartment. Truly miss it.

12. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Amen!

13. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I never use the sunglasses holder. I wear my sunglasses outside the car, too.

Caniac likes this.
  14. ucla107

ucla107 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Exactly... I used my sunglass holder EVERY day... but then coming from a car without HUD, it's not as important to me as the sunglass holder! :)