1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need help deciding.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JerryC27271, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JerryC27271

JerryC27271 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2012 plug in that I love which is a lease. I can buy out the lease for $17000.00 or lease a regular price no plug in for $261.00 a month for 3 more years. I can't decide help me. Plug in does not get the mileage in the cold that it does in the summer. I live in Maine. It's cold 8 out of 12 months. I would pay about $300.00 a month to buy it out for 5 years. I am getting older there is no spare in plugin which bothers me. HELP!

2. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would the new 2016 coming out soon change anything for you?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you more comfortable buying or leasing?

Seems to me in the buyout scenario you would be paying $300 a month to "own" a vehicle outright that would be 8 model years old once you actually had it paid off.

In your second scenario you are leasing again, for 3 years, but leasing a "regular" Prius.

I can't ascertain all the personal feelings you might have about either scenario, and I'm usually NOT a big fan of leasing, BUT...
    I don't really like those buy out terms or the duration.

Seems like less risk with the continued new Lease option.

Plus in 3 years, the new Gen 4 Prius should be well vetted and tested, and then at that point you might have an even better option than today. In the meantime, you will have been leasing a new vehicle with full new car warranty coverage.

Ultimately do what you wish, but given those specific parameters I think I'd go with the new lease.

4. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another variable that can affect the decision is the condition of the vehicle. How many miles are on it now? Is it in decent shape?

That can affect the actual value of the vehicle as compared with the lease buyout option, i.e. do you have any "equity" in the vehicle?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lease a regular prius, cost seems more important to you than ev miles. in fact, you should look at a corolla, yaris, camry lease. all the best!(y)

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know whats best. But $17k is good price assuming say 36k miles. Also you have a hefty car tax like we do, so the lease gets you back at the new car tax status I presume. You can always carry a spare. You might be able to get 17K in a trade in a year or so, if you like the 2016.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what did you decide?