1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help Determining source of Damage to Wheel (dealer rotated)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Spryfly, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Had a friend with similar problem with TPMS. Turned out spare tire was losing air. Just a thought. On damage issue, Toyota dealer damaged 3 of 4 oem 17 prius 5 wheels and scratched drivers door. I inspected before I left dealer. Since it was first oil change I caught it before I left, they had no argument but to fix it. Turns out their super tech did not use correct tools to tighten bolts. Drove 3000 miles no damage, they get it and in 1 hour $2500 damage. Not impressed... Good luck!

-Zed

2. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well the third time is a charm. Although the dealer again said they thought the damage was from curbing, I pointed out that the damage really moves away from the wheel outward, not inward, and that the wheel and tire is not damaged.

When I was called about the vehicle later, I was told that the pressure in the tires overall was very low and around 28 psi. They believe when the tires were filled or checked previously that a faulty tire gauge was giving them an incorrect reading. I really don't know what to say about that, because I would think that they would have an accurate tire gauge, from filling so many tires overall, since that is checked with just about every service.

So their explanation for the tire pressure warning light being on, is that my tires were under inflated. They inflated them to 35 PSI upfront and 33 at the rear.

The service rep then mentioned that they had put a new wheel cover on my back left wheel, which was true it looked brand-new. Well done. Also a nice car wash made everything shine.

So it finally all worked out. Hopefully the tire low pressure light will stay unlit.

3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad to hear it all worked out and that you can trust your dealership. I guess like with rental cars, it makes sense to do a walk-around with your service rep before and after a visit.

4. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, you are right, and I've also taken new photos of my car, and I think I should just do that periodically to keep track of things. This is primarily why I try and hand wash the car, so I can keep track of dings and such. (My workplace parallel parking is notorious for door slam chips and dings. Already had to buy and use touch up paint.)

I read a number of other threads here where Prius owners are having more severe problems with their cars, which made me feel bad for whining over a few chips and bent wheel cover. I get that. Its just hard to walk away from when the car is a few months old and you know you didn't cause that...

5. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've got 3 covers from a totaled 2010. If anyone wants to buy one you can PM me.

Thanks,
    Dan