1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need help diagnosing rear passenger side wheel noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AVERAGE_J, Jul 25, 2015.

1. AVERAGE_J

AVERAGE_J New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Everytime I turn, the rear passenger side wheel makes this cranking like noise. its like when you were a little kid and your baseball card was in your bike wheel. also, it makes it when i brake also. could my drum needs changing or could it be a axle and bearing issue? i am going to try and record the noise and upload it tomorrow. i want to seem to know what i am talking about when i take it to the dealer so i don't get "jacked" :).
    thanks in advance.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I would take the wheel and drum off and look at the brakes, and look at the rear suspension. it could be a stick or some debris rubbing the tire. or a broken brake spring, you got to look at it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you want to possibly save some money, and don't want to look at it yourself, any independent mechanic can look at that. There's nothing special about the Prius rear end. Plenty of mechanics specialize in suspension, bearings, and brakes and some of them can probably tell you the problem if they hear you drive up to the shop.

4. AVERAGE_J

AVERAGE_J New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for all your input. Much appreciated. I am not very well versed in cars and all your input really means a lot!!!!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on the tyres?