1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help diagnosing strange MDF display along with possible lost of electric power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by donl73, Aug 28, 2009.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car has one engine and two motor/generators. The MFD is very abstract and shows only one M/G.

Replace your nearly-dead 12V battery, and it's 9:1 that all this weirdness will go away. [D'ohh!! I really must work on my reading comprehension.]

2. donl73

donl73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    northwichita: thanks for the suggestion, considering i'm not very handy myself, would you suggest i get the scanguage or bring it to a dealer to check?

richard: i've already replaced the 12v battery, but unfortunately it did not solve the loss of MPG and power problem.

as i've mentioned in one of my previous post, my main concern is not if i got the arrows going in the right direction on the MFD, but of the loss of MPG and power. any suggestions are very welcomed, thanks!

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here are my thoughts:

1. Check the parking brake to see if it is dragging when released. You would have to raise up the rear of the car and spin each rear wheel to see.
    2. Check your tire air pressure.
    3. What is the condition of your engine air filter? If dirty, I suggest you change it.
    4. Maybe your iridium spark plugs should be changed, although the normal service interval is 120K miles (150K for CA).
    5. It could be that the traction battery is losing capacity, although it is not yet at the point where a trouble code is logged.