1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need help diagnosing suspension noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by somerandomname, Apr 29, 2022.

1. somerandomname

somerandomname Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 06 with about 130k miles. I replaced the struts and sway bar links not too long. Whenever I go over a bump or dip at normal driving speed there's a very annoying ticking/clunking noise from my front left wheel. I cannot feel any play in the tie rods or ball joint when rocking the wheel back and forth with the car jacked up. The ball joint boot isn't ripped, and I cannot recreate the sound by moving the wheel up and down with a pry bar, I'm guessing it only happens when the suspension is loaded and unloaded quickly, i.e while driving. I also checked to make sure the bolts connecting the strut tower to the knuckle and the nuts at the top of the strut aren't loose. I'm fairly certain it's either the control arm bushings or the ball joint but I don't want to just throw parts at it until it's fixed, expensive way to do things. Any suggestions to help diagnose it?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the car on the ground, stand next to the driver's door. Push/pull against the roof of the car, the idea is to get the car to rock (or lean) to the sides. If doing this recreates the noise, then it is very likely that something is wrong with the sway bar. (Yes you said that the end links are new_ still could be bad, or a nut is loose, possibly a frame mount bushing).

Otherwise, look closely at suspension parts near where they pivot- any shiny metal or "red" rust stains can indicate metal to metal contact and movement.

Another possible noise source is dry/loose slide pins allowing the brake caliper to move and rattle(or even sloppy fitting pads)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ great tip about finding the rusty-dust, that has served me well in the past.

For really difficult situations, a set of "chassis ears" is the right tool for the job. It's a kit containing several small wireless microphones in tough packages. You attach them to suspect parts and get in and drive. A multichannel receiver rides with you in the car and records the results from each mic independently and you (eventually) narrow down the rattle.

Some tool rental places will have this system available, check locally.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You really cant rock a G2 back and forth or up and down the car is way to tight.

I can almost guarantee if you used an after market stab link (swaybar link) its going to make noise. I can almost guarantee you did because the OEM links are expensive. Last time I looked they were $102 each online.

This is a Toyota. Toyota's do not like junk parts.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've had no trouble with the federal mogul heavy end links on corollas and I think they make them for prius

6. somerandomname

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had no idea something like that existed, if I can't narrow it down the regular way I'll have to look into that. It's starting to clunk over smaller and smaller bumps and it's driving me up the wall. I know these cars don't have amazing build quality, but it feels like a rattle hydra, I fix one and three more pop up.

7. somerandomname

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct on both counts. I was road tripping out of state and thought it was the links because I knew they were very worn out and loose. Threw whatever AutoZone had in stock at it, likely of worse quality than
    what I can get off rockauto and more expensive also. I'll probably be changing them again relatively soon but oh well.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep...understandable as the OEMs are very expensive. But everything now is just Chinese junk especially suspension parts...and the parts stores igniter coils really suck too. There expensive too. I started buying a new Denso coil every few months in anticipation of its big 100,000 miles tune up.

I always use Olathe Toyota parts online they do a great job always get the right part once they called me and said I had ordered the wrong part before they shipped. Really good customer service from these guys.

Make sure you have your insurance card handy when you order as they usually want the vin to make sure its the right part.

Good luck.