1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help. Fob/Dome lights/clock/radio not working.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rock_fencer, Feb 3, 2023.

1. rock_fencer

rock_fencer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Issues:
    1) OBD port not powering with my MBII scanner i have for my sprinter. Will check a prius specific code reader once i get it from my friend.
    2) dome lights/fobs/clock/radio not powering.
    3) Also the fuel gauge blinks one box every time you turn the car on before showing the amount of fuel shows
    4) Trip A/B odometer resets every on/off cycle
    5) Door doesnt beep with key in ignition when open.

So the backstory:

2007 prius with 220K not SKS generally been trouble free.

Car's dome lights were left on while installing car seat and killed battery. Car didnt start and gave the red triangle. Charged battery and worked fine briefly. Had to jump another car to get to work (unfortunate i know), did not reverse polarity. Car had a few issues with turning on to ready but going into Neutral when put in drive. Subsequently changed the 12 V battery to a new stronger battery and tested it under load (12.5 V). Ground cleaned and all posts nice and snug. Now the issues listed above but the car runs fine. The Dealership wants 230$/hr to diagnose and we scheduled an appt in two weeks but not really interested in spending that $$$ on such an old car. Big battery and starter battery are charging so doubt its the inverter. Last maintenance done 3 months ago was transaxle fluid replacement and oil change. No issues after.

What I've done:
    1) All fuses checked with multimeter both under engine block, the one on the starter battery, and under the steering wheel. Had one blown fuse for STOP which got replaced. Also had a bulb out which got replaced.
    2) I see plenty of fluid stirring in the inverter pump reservoir.
    3) Car runs fine so i dont think its the 100A fuse
    4) cycled the switches for the dome lights repeatedly to no avail.

Besides getting prius code reader, i suspect its on the dome light circuit but not sure where down the line i might be missing a fuse or how to proceed.

Thoughts, Recommendations, suggestions appreciated.

#1 rock_fencer, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’d suggest tracing one circuit at a time, using the Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info), and taking care to check both the power and ground sides of each circuit. The Data Link Connector 3 (OBD II) might be the easiest to start with, since it should always be powered, with 12 volts at terminal 16 (BAT) and low resistance between body ground and terminals 4 (CG) and 5 (SG).

rock_fencer likes this.
  3. rock_fencer

rock_fencer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So after little success my wife decided to take it to the dealer. They pulled Code B1242 which goes along with their other finding that there is no power leaving the "ECU Junction box" Part # 82730-47370. From what I can gather this is a plastic box with uses and relays that sits somewhere under the drivers side. Has anybody encountered this or have a good DIY replacement run down?

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base