1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help identifying issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ph1lt0r, Feb 18, 2019.

1. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've got a 2002 gen one Prius. I just had to replace the starter battery for the car, everything fired up just fine, I topped off coolant, and I went to go get gas. On the way back the triangle lit up, check engine came on, main battery and problem light came on the display. The car got extremely loud, would not accelerate well (thankfully our gas station was right around the corner) basically, the faster the car went (I kept it under 15) the louder the engine was, like it wasn't shifting down gears. Any ideas as to what might have happened? I'm about to go out to check the belt, just in case.

2. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm pulling codes 3030 and 3191

3. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Last update for now. I cleared all the codes, got the car started, only code showing after that in the ECU was 3030, ABS is giving me a C1259 HV system Regenerative malfunction. When the main battery triggers the error again, you can clearly hear an audible click of a solenoid clicking. My best guess is that either there is a faulty pack, or a sensor line is broken to one of the battery series. I guess I'll disassemble and find out!

4. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Also inspect the connector to the HV computer and ECU pins, sometimes corrosion does the 3030. This is the second thread that I've read this week where changing the starter battery led to HV battery problems.
    Perhaps the sequence of +& - disconnection and reconnection isn't being followed to Prius spec ? FYI, I don't know the proper sequence.

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A factory diagonstic manual would help. I would suggest that you google c1259, the appropriate diagnostic manual part will come up for you.

6. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That's a great idea. I'll do that! I'm going to start my work this weekend.

Funny you should mention that, I did follow the manual to the letter on this. What I didn't know, and just came to my attention is that my wife had jumped the car in cold weather. I am worried this might have damaged the battery pack, now.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C1259 isn't really the interesting one to look up; it's just a code from the brake computer saying "hey, the HV computer told me something's fishy over there."

Finding the workup instructions for the P3030 will get you on track.

8. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have found the workup instructions, just need to get my hands on a toyota approved tester. (hoping a mechanic fiend of mine can borrow one from his work). Kind of excited to get this going. I'll include photos and end results.

9. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So disassembly has been completed and am now cleaning corrosion. Saw some scorch marks on the snap sensor connection to the electrical computer.[​IMG] [​IMG]

A shot of the corrosion on one side

[​IMG]

#9 ph1lt0r, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    padroo likes this.
  10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks like you are headed in the right direction.

11. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Do you think the electrical computer would have damage that could be permanent? I can still communicate with it, just worried the sensor wiring inside the unit could be bad.

12. ph1lt0r

ph1lt0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    We had one of the battery sensor clips break off when we were putting the bus bracket back on. Is there any way to fix this with an alternate clip from a hardware store? Or am I going to have to hunt down a new wiring harness?