1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help Identifying What Happened

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tduff311, Dec 13, 2017.

1. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so here’s what happened…

I was on a tight budget and went with the cheapest shop that could give me two new tires and a four wheel alignment. Long story short, apparently you do get what you pay for...

Upon driving my car from the back to the front for me, the technician advised me that he was leaving my car running a bit before giving it to me. They had already been 15 minutes past closing and 30 past when it was to be ready for me, so I didn’t understand why until I turned the car off a couple minutes later at the gas station and it wouldn’t start… they were working on it apparently, left a power source on, and drained the battery, having to jumpstart it to return it to me...this accounts for his confusing statement (he didn’t know that the service desk didn’t tell me) and it accounts for why they were so late, and stayed past closing for it. But it gets worse from here...

I later found my fuse block and 12 V battery terminal cover removed inside the engine and the plastic latches that would normally hold it on to the box were broken… It’s obvious what happened there. They were running late, wanted to get home, and got sloppy in their haste to jumpstart it to return to me.

IMG_7023.JPG

However, the next day (today) upon opening my trunk storage compartment, I discovered a new surprise… A piece I have never seen before… You can see it in the below picture and perhaps you can help me identify where it came from and how this might play into what else might have occurred at this shop… (Is there a positive terminal in my Prius battery compartments within the trunk they accessed not knowing how to jumpstart a Prius? (Looking into my Prius engine compartment, there is no discernible battery visible, which would confuse someone not accustomed to hybrids). This seems too large To have any place within my engine compartment and I’ve never seen it there before…

IMG_7016.JPG

Furthermore, as you can also see in the below photo, the plastic liner that separates the storage compartment in the trunk from the battery compartment was not properly seated which also leads me to believe they accessed the rear battery area not knowing how to jumpstart a Prius…they obviously figured it out later as the car was jumpstarted and the fuse/terminal box cover damaged...

IMG_7017.JPG

Any insight, suggestions, or thoughts regarding this would be appreciated… I’m putting together all of my findings and approaching the Mr. tire corporate office soon to discuss the matter as the local Mr. tire manager is reluctant and apprehensive to address with me.

I love my Prius and take great care of it; more than any other vehicle previously owned. So, it frustrates me that a job I can’t do myself, one I pay “experts” to complete, results in sloppy work and damages to my car. The worst is that they attempted to hide it all, and said nothing. Last night was a long night stranded at a gas station and I couldn’t reach their shop as they all left immediately after I did. ..

iPhone ?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be prepared to contact consumer affairs at your a/g's office. don't hesitate to mention that if they balk on total repairs. they also owe you a new 12v battery.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget your local TV station.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The red plastic piece covers the positive terminal assembly on the 12v battery located in the righthand, rear corner of the trunk area. under the trim piece. You must remove the middle pieces of the trunk area to access it.

nssdiver and pilotgrrl like this.
  5. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco, I did mention the below in my email to management for making this right (see images). However, that was before I discovered the other loose terminal cover and signs of the techs messing around in my rear hybrid battery’s...unsure where that cover should be and what happened with that...

The Manager responded to my initial complaint last night, sounding very short and requesting to examine my car for my claims, to include testing my battery...this was my response:

IMG_6983.JPG
    IMG_6984.JPG
    IMG_6985.JPG
    IMG_6986.JPG
    IMG_6988.JPG

iPhone ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good, i eagerly await their response. all the best!(y)

pilotgrrl, Raytheeagle and tduff311 like this.
  7. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so they went in there, tried to jump my car that way first, were unsuccessful, and then found the right terminal in my engine bay, damaging that cover, realizing they forgot to put the red cover on the hybrid terminal and just tossing it into my trunk...

Wow.

So, any concerns regarding this? With the terminal missing this red cover, and possible damages from them attempting I jump the hybrid battery’s in the trunk?

iPhone ?

8. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Already responded. See below:

IMG_6992.JPG

I haven’t responded yet. And now, with this new discovery, I’m trying to determine how to proceed as the situation is worsened and he is already skeptical in his message...

iPhone ?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he does sound defensive, but you do have to show him the problems in person. don't forget to mention that once the prius 12v has been depleted, it's basically toast. how old is it?

pilotgrrl and tduff311 like this.
  10. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco, it was replaced when I bought the car, by the dealership, about 3-4 years ago. Looks like the stock pictures I see online for my year.

iPhone ?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be a pro rated warranty, if it is toyota/yuasa/panasonic.

tduff311 likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Man you got lucky. They could have blown your car up. 100’s of horror stories of jumps gone bad totaling the car.

Your battery was probably borderline to begin with. They left the door open for quite a while. Even if they shut off the cabin light there’s a light in the bottom side of the door that’s on when the door Is Open. No switch.

If it was me I would not have them do anymore work on the car it will just get worse because they don’t give a #hit.
    And yes the dealer will prorate that battery. But not sure how much that will cost you.

Or Try to get them to replace the battery they can buy a optima yellowtop online for $160, and move on.
    Your long laundry list of labor swap out is not going to happen. Keep the deal cut and dry. They replace part You move on.
    Run.

13. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Ed.

So take the parts and install myself?

What of the hybrid battery? Potentially damaged? Should I bring by dealer to check it out before seeing him?

I am not sure I can trust the Me Tire Manager to act in any interest other than his own when he “evaluates” my car. Would it be prudent to have dealer evaluate at their shop first for an accurate unbiased accounting? (Test battery, review hybrid battery tampering, etc?)

iPhone ?

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    tduff,

I'm also trying to understand what indications you are using (or what you see) that leads you to believe they tampered with the HV battery?
    The trunk floor cover and the large black plastic storage area must be removed to remove the trim plate covering the 12v aux battery in the right rear corner. As soon as the black plastic storage area is removed, the hybrid battery toward the front is exposed. This is expected, not a problem. That's how you access it to pull out the orange safety disconnect when required. Many, Many, (did I say many?) times, I've seen the black plastic storage container not align perfectly with the grooved lip on the trim pieces and not sit exactly correct unless you fiddle with it a bit.

This sounds more like it's just a basic "oops", they didn't realize how small the 12v battery is and accidentally depleted it. Didn't understand how to jump it, no ill will, just a bit of laziness or incompetence on the part of the minimum wage helpers with regard to not breaking tabs and putting all the pieces back in place. They obviously didn't understand that just running the engine for a bit wouldn't be enough to charge the battery well enough. Or they used a charger and exceeded 3.5 amps charge rate. The prius AGM 12v aux battery should not be charged at a rate in excess of 3.5 amps, as it will potentially cause permanent damage.

#14 TMR-JWAP, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    jerrymildred and tduff311 like this.
  15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, sloppy jump start but I agree with Ed. You're actually lucky that they didn't seriously blow up anything with something bad like a reverse polarity (as opposed to just being very sloppy with the clip on parts)

Should not be any damage to the hybrid battery or anything else. If the car runs alright with a new 12V battery (or with your existing one fully charged) then the damage is limited to them not clipping the plastic covers correctly.

The red cover in the back looks undamaged. Just clip it back onto the 12V positive terminal (or get them to do it). The black fuse box cover in the front looks like it might have a damaged clip as you say. If you're sure the clips were not damaged prior to taking it in then see if you can get them to replace it for you.

The 12V battery will have been on it's way out. If they left a door open and light on it could have been enough to drain it. Many workshops are unaware of just how small the Prius 12V battery is and how easy it is to drain (especially one that is several years old). If the battery recharges alright then there's probably nothing else to do there.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had my car jumped started at the Toyota dealer before and they didn't know how to put back the fuse cover correctly

Told me they would check my battery for free afterwards. I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there, forget the freebie

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with the others that you don't want them to be doing any further work on your Prius, as they've already demonstrated their incompetence. Let them replace the parts they damaged and move on.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pilotgrrl, tduff311 and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Determined this by the fact that the Red terminal cover from the trunk accessed battery was found tossed in my trunk. I,e. It was removed. If it was removed, the they removed to access to jump, only locating the correct battery after finding that this one didn’t work.

Finding the Red terminal cover tossed in my trunk, and the signs of their having removed the storage liner to access it, are the evidence used to determine it was accessed.

We already see that they were incompetent, impatient, and reckless. We now see they first accessed the trunk battery to jumpstart, unsuccessfully.

Has they jumped the correct battery first, none of this would have been found as it would need to have occurred.

iPhone ?

19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the red cover belongs over the positive post of the 12 volt battery. No need to access the HV battery.

pilotgrrl, Raytheeagle and xliderider like this.
  20. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No room for it up there. Looked around and it’s just the fuse box cover that tightly covers it.

Another forum member indicated it is from the HV battery accessed via the middle tray liner in trunk, on right side.

iPhone ?