1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help ID'ing my battery module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by helpmypriusplease, Dec 13, 2021.

1. helpmypriusplease

helpmypriusplease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently acquired a 2007 Prius that had been diagnosed with a bad traction battery, after disassembling the battery I could tell it was an aftermarket replacement. It had 4 completely dead modules and I thought that after purchasing a new sensing harness and 4 Ebay modules I would be good to go. But the replacement modules arrived and they are a good 1/2 shorter than my modules. I used the decoder tool found on here and discovered that my modules were made in 2012 and so are the ebay replacements. The ID numbers are entirely different. Can anyone offer advice on what my next steps should be? Not sure if I should order from a different source and return these as I don't want the same thing to happen again. Thank you to everyone in advance for your help! I have attached photos, my module is darker grey and is slightly longer, I don't see anyway for it to fit. 20211212_172839.jpg 20211212_172842.jpg

2. helpmypriusplease

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am thinking the ebay seller has sent me Gen 1 modules instead, but if someone could confirm that before I start a return I would appreciate it! The prius had a code P3030, I discovered a broken sensing wire terminal this the decision to replace the harness. And the last 4 modules in the pack all showed 0.0 volts.

3. helpmypriusplease

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So after returning these and ordering from another seller I received the right modules. Unfortunately after replacing the 4 dead ones and replacing the sensing wire harness I am still getting a no "ready" condition and the P3030 is returning. I don't have easy access to a scantool that can give me freeze frame info so after reading other posts on here I ordered an ebay battery ECU. Fingers crossed that gets the car back on the road.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if that doesn't work, get dr prius and see what the modules are doing under load

5. helpmypriusplease

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replacing the ECU did the trick. She started right up, everything seems to be charging and discharging just fine. My cheapo scantool shows no codes. Next on the agenda is repairing the dead instrument panel, thankfully there are plenty of how to's on here.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were any of the pins on the orange socket in the ECU damaged and or corroded? If they were, what was the state of the orange harness plug that mates with it?

If that plug has any damage/corrosion you might want to replace the harness so it doesn't mess up the new (to you) ECU.

Getting a good scan tool will also be immensely helpful as you are essentially flying blind if you cannot see all the codes in all the ECUs.

8. helpmypriusplease

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All the pins were fine, I did go ahead and replace the harness since there was a modest amount of corrosion on the tabs going to the modules, and since the 4 dead modules were the last 4 in the pack I had a feeling there may have been a break there. Only $80 for a new harness, I felt like that was just good insurance. The car is running and driving perfectly now. I am definitely going to be buying a better scantool very soon. Thank you dolj for your help!

dolj likes this.