1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help! In a predicament in Dallas, TX.

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Sanjay Goel, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought a 2010 Highlander Hybrid with 160k miles a month ago. In a bid to extend the hybrid battery life, after researching here on PriusChat, ordered the deluxe set of charger / discharger combo from Hybrid Automotive. The harness install instructions on their website are for 1st gen Highlander but they said on the phone that same instructions work for the 2nd gen too.

Well, for the most part they do, but now that I have reached the battery I find that the central battery pack is covered by a hard plastic cover and Jeff @HybridAutomotive says he has never seen that and unable to provide instructions.

I am at a loss with my car ripped apart with both 2nd and 3rd row seats out and all side paneling removed and sitting in my garage since Friday. I kind of chickened out at this point and not knowing how to proceed when I am so close to the Hybrid battery, I am more inclined to turn over the job to someone who knows these things and has experience in this field.

Called the local "green tec auto" folks and though they have agreed to do this for me, they insist that I bring the vehicle to them. Since they regularly remove and install batteries at their customer sites, it is a bit puzzling. They say that it is for insurance reasons. But beyond this - the price they quoted gave a sticker shock - $450 - when I have done almost 40% of the work already :(

Since this is the largest online group of hybrid vehicle owners and enthusiasts - thought I would put my appeal on this site.

Can anyone here provide any suggestions on what to do? Is anyone on this forum who is local to Dallas-Fort Worth area willing to help? I am willing to spend money but $450 is over the top really. Alternatively, does anyone know of any mechanics in the area who would be willing to do this job at my location?

I am open to any suggestions...

Thanks for reading and I really appreciate any help and / or guidance anyone here can provide.

Regards
    Sanjay