1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help in Florida, please!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Duffie13, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Duffie13

Duffie13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just returned from a mechanic who tested my 2004 Prius with 134,000. It indicated there is a problem with the main battery. I was trying to avoid the dealer but it looks like it is a must. He suggested I ask the dealer to remove the battery and bring it to a place in Clearwater Florida to have them refurbish it. If I try to trade in this car I won't get anything for it with the engine light on, right? What should I do? I replaced the 12V two months ago. Thank you for any advice.

2. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are the numbers? Dollar wise? How much to remove/reinstall via the dealer and guestimate the worst comes to worse dollar figure from your 'mechanic?' Total cost. Are you willing to do the work yourself insofar as having like a DORMAN battery exchange and having your mechanic replace that Dorman for you? Basically what are the two cost scenarios?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car seems to have low miles. If it drives good and has no issues (other than battery), you can put a new battery in there. I would stay away from refurbished batteries, especially if you have a good low mileage car.

If you are close to Tampa, we have a member with a dealership there that can install a new battery, cheaper than the dealer.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what lights did you get on the dash that made you take it to the mechanic?

what trouble codes did he read?

is the car behaving badly?

5. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Talk to Steve at AutoBeYours-South in Daytona. He specializes in Gen-II Prius repair.
    AutoBeYours-South

Bill the Engineer

6. Duffie13

Duffie13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not had any quotes yet. The mechanic I went to wants nothing to do with it. I am a 64 year old lady so I won't be doing any repairs myself. Fortunately I have my mother's 1995 Camry (79,000) to use.

Bill the Engineer[/QUOTE]

7. Duffie13

Duffie13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The red triangle light is on. Also the check engine light. The big screen has 3 boxes PS. Main Red Car with a check mark. The small computer that the mechanic put on gave a code 14. He mention maybe they could just replace the bad cell. Is that an option?

8. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would not recommend replacing only the bad cell in your case. The reason being that you're not a DIYer, and replacing bad cells is something that is somewhat of a regular routine for those who go that route. Replacing one bad cell might give you a few months of driving time until the next cell goes bad, then you'll just be replacing another one.

Regardless of your financial situation, I'd say that the cheapest car is the car you own. A completely new battery shouldn't be more than $4k installed (and possibly close to $3k), and a refurbished battery can be significantly less than that. I would recommend one of those routes. Preferred would be new Toyota OEM battery, but if $3k-$4k is too much to spend, a Dorman battery would be my choice for refurbished.

All of the above assumes your car is in good working order besides the battery.

Also, regarding the trade-in value of your vehicle, it would be significantly diminished (think the price of a new battery). If you did want to trade it in, I think the best route would be to put in a refurbished battery first so that you're trying to sell a working car. The typical customer for a non-working car is looking for a steal, so you are not likely to get top dollar that route.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can drive it, take it to a dealer for correct codes, to make sure it's the battery. and you can get a quote at the same time. you don't have to leave it there.

i have never heard of code 14. you can replace a cell, but it's a long complicated process and would require someone with expertise. a dealer won't do it. if you can find someone who will, they could also install a salvage battery from a wrecked low mile prius if one is available.

what's the max you can spend?