1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help interpreting hybrid battery voltage check

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by themadbluebird, May 4, 2017.

1. themadbluebird

themadbluebird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi guys,

I got the dreaded triangle and P0A80 code on my 2007 Prius with 165,000 miles and have spent tons of time reading up on what options I have. After much trial and error, I finally got a mini VCI working and was able to get a readout of my HV battery's charge state. The attached image is the result of the static test. I am hoping someone who is more experienced with these can help me interpret. From my layman's view, it looks encouraging as all the voltages are close together with the exception of block 5.

Does this mean that I could just replace block 5 and likely be good to go? Learning to do that will be another ordeal entirely, but better than spending $3,000 on a new battery which I was about to do!

Attached Files:

#1 themadbluebird, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. themadbluebird

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: I also just performed a charge/discharge test while watching the live battery voltages. All the 14 pairs held pretty closely together as the charge went up and down, except for block 5. That one rose quickly and went higher than the others while charging. Then when the charging stops, it quickly fell down lower than all the others.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bluebird,
    You are on the right track. Going by your information, one module of the pair in Block 5 is causing your problem and the other 27 modules are probably fine. If you just want to replace that module and get back on the road, what you need to do is find one good OEM module that is close to the other 27, and install it. You don't want to purchase a Gen 3 module, or a 2007 module that's been cycled a bunch of times. You want one as close as possible to the 27 good ones. If you install one excellent condition module to replace the bad one, it will have different characteristics and you may or may not continue to throw codes.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you decide you want to 'refresh' the battery by cycling the modules, you're looking at several days time depending on how many charger setups you purchase.

A problem you may run into is that you know your voltages, but you don't know your module capacities. This makes it a bit of a guessing game to find the right module to just bolt in and go. Sometimes you can get lucky (I have before) and you swap one module and the car runs fine for a year (or years), other times, the 'whack-a-mole' situation arises. Finding a matched module is the key.

Taking the time to cycle and measure capacity of each module makes it much easier to match a replacement module. It just takes a lot more time. There are several guys on the forum (including myself) who could easily supply you with a module. I have hundreds, of various years and capacities, as I'm sure several others also have.

SFO and m.wynn like this.
  5. themadbluebird

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks so much for the reply. So what is my best shot at finding the best possible match for a replacement cell? Just try to get one that is roughly the same age, miles, and voltage?

I spent the last couple hours reading threads about reconditioning HV batteries, and I think that manually balancing the pack cell by cell is beyond my capability. However, it sounds like this can be achieved just as well by purchasing the Prolong system from Hybrid Automotive--is that correct?

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Please search for existing threads about HV battery health. PLEASE.

In general, if one block has gone bad, others won't be far behind......so replacing them one at a time is not practical (for most owners).

"New" ones can be had for around $1500; that is covered in the other threads on this subject.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I sell tested modules.
    Plus I can help you on the phone.

In a perfect world, after replacing a single module, you would then use a Hybrid Automotive Prolong system before reinstalling in the car.
    Then continue to use the system periodically to keep things in good health.

Glad to hear you spent some time reading the forums. There's good info here.
    Feel free to call if you want to talk things through.

Raytheeagle, biglew8 and jerrymildred like this.
  8. themadbluebird

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you Sam--I have spent 20+ hours reading through such threads and am well aware of the replacement options. Definitely tried to be mindful to read existing threads before starting a new one, but at this point I am hoping for specific advice on my car.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So here's my point:
    What makes you think that your car is any different than the hundreds of others in a similar situation that have already been discussed on here ?? Hint: it isn't any different.

The options are all out there. Only YOU can decide what is right for YOU.

I think if you carefully think through the options......a 10 year old car with high mileage......and try to view the situation logically and not emotionally, you will arrive at the right option FOR YOU. With a car of that age, other things are likely to start going bad too.

In my opinion, you should consider replacing a single module ONLY as a short term fix while you make arrangements to find a different vehicle or save up a bit to buy a whole new battery. But again, it is the different owners who pick out the option that is best for them......with cars in an identical situation. Asking others who don't know YOU what is your best option is pointless.