1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help.....Is this a good deal or am I missing anything.....?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by LouG123, Jun 2, 2017.

1. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a deal pending via phone for a Prime Advanced, Blizzard Pearl / Black interior from a dealer in New York. I need some help here - it looks like a really good deal but is there anything that I'm missing.....?

Car Price: $31,543
    Credit for miles ($150) I think they're giving me this b/c I'm flying in to buy the car

Sales Tax: $2,276, or 7.25%
    NY State Inspection: $10
    Application Processing: $75
    Waste Tire Fee: $12.50

Sub-total: $33,766.50

LESS: $2,500 REBATE

Final Total: $31,266

NOTES:

A) The Car Price includes dealer add-ons such as body side molding, cargo mats, floor mats, wheel locks and door edge guards. All are to excluded except the floor mats, so this price will be reduced just a bit (I never asked for this crap, it all just appeared on the sales statement they emailed me.

B) I have a Camry lease to be turned in at my local dealer. Per TFS vis phone this afternoon, TFS will most likely waive the lease turn-in fee once they see the car purchase entered into their system.

C) I've never bought while using a rebate. Does the rebate normally come into play before sales tax or after ?

D ) The final is obviously before the $4,502 tax credit. Am I really looking at a top of the line Prime for a all-in net cost of $26,764 net of the tax credit ? That just seems crazy low to me........

Please let me know your thoughts and comments. I'd rather know the truth now than later.....

2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's a ridiculously good deal, compared to what I paid for the car in California.
    Ask what the allowance for mileage means, it could mean that the car has some mileage on it and that they're giving you a discount because of that.
    What does your state say about paying sales tax in New York, are they going to want you to pay sales tax in your state.
    Same question for registration.
    Make sure that you specify that the car is in new condition when you get it, i.e. , no dents, dings, nicks, scratches, or any other damage to the car. This deal breaker must be specified in writing to protect you. If all the numbers hold true, and the car is sound, you've got a great deal; congratulations!

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jump on it.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. MLN

MLN Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I must advise against this. You will damage the hood.

5. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why pay sale tax when you're in IL? You pay sale tax in your state when you register the car.

FuelMiser and bodgm like this.
  6. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just to clarify, the NY dealer is going to take care of my IL sales taxes. The 7.25% sales tax is the going rate for automobile sales tax for my personal zip code. I'm not paying NY sales taxes.

I'm not a big fan of how the body side molding looks on the Prime, but I'm starting to rethink this. I would be surprised if the dealer had already installed them considering they may have to trade the car to another dealer, but maybe I'm wrong. Lastly, I have an email into the dealer to confirm the current odometer mileage (many thanks HPrime for the thought). Many thanks for all of the comments....

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  7. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Make sure the mileage thing is figured out. If the car has been titled to someone, has over 500 miles, etc, you won't be about to get the $4502 tax liability reduction.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Son of Gloin and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well maybe not, if you're not as fat as me, and you stay to the edges, and take off your army boots!! How long can this joke go on??!!

asadgenius4u likes this.
  9. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $31,543 is a sexy price. Ask the dealer that quoted $31,543 price for miles in the vehicle, if any damages and prior purchasing inspect vehicle (there were some thread that new car had some scratches when inspecting at the dealership...)

10. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So I have the VIN and will go ahead and obtain an Autocheck report to see the car's history. The dealer confirmed that the car now has 74 miles on it. Considering I plan to drive it 800 miles home this doesn't bother me much. My bigger concern would be front end and hood paint imperfections. I'll make sure to confirm that they know I won't take delivery of any vehicle with such issues. While imperfections may arise during my trip home, I see those as possibilities stemming from the bonding experience between new car and new owner..... :cool:

HPrimeAdvanced and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. stuyguy

stuyguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Would you share the dealer's name? My deal for an Advanced moonstone in Maine fell apart. Great price

12. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    UPDATE...!!!!

Just thought I'd check in to let everyone know that I have decided to walk away from this deal. After calling around a couple other dealers in both NY and Boston, I couldn't find anyone who would even come close to the deal offered to me in post #1. I decided to pay for an Autocheck Report (as I've used for past car purchases) and discovered that this car was delivered to the dealer on January 6, 2017. While still a 2017 car, I personally have no desire to purchase a new car that's been sat in for the last six months. I have mixed feelings about my decision, considering that the price was really fantastic. I've simply come to the conclusion that flying to New York to sit in what is most likely a non-pristine interior for a discounted price is not what I'm aiming for. I suppose if I end up paying another couple grand for a "fresher" car, then so be it.

However, if there's anyone out there who wants to jump on this deal, the car is sitting at Westchester Toyota in Yonkers, NY. If anyone needs any more information, please feel free to let me know.....

13. Karthik Krishnan

Karthik Krishnan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So here is the INVOICE PRICE for the car, color and accessories. Tax is applied before the $2500 discount.

Advanced Trim = $31,776
    Blizzard Pearl = $ 352
    Preferred Accessory Package = $ 194
    Carpet Mat Package = $ 139
    Mileage Credit = ($ 150)
    Sub total= $32,311
    Sales Tax 7.25% = $ 2342
    Price+Tax = $34,653
    Fees= $ 97
    Rebate= ($ 2500)

Price = $32,250

Any idea if there is a destination charge?

In any event, the price that is offered is a good deal from the dealership. By the way, don't say no to the accessories. Body side molding and edge guards are a must to protect the side and door edges. Buying them afterwards would be quite expensive. The body side molding on the blizzard is indeed sexy.

I don't think you should worry too much about the car sitting in the lot for 5 months. Use it to your advantage to reduce the price by another $500 to $750 or ask them to put paint protection film on the hood and the front bumper. Or at a minimum ask them to install the Illuminated Door Sills. I got them installed after i using my 50% off Costco coupon. The illuminated sills are just brilliant and sexy with blue light when you open the doors. These go for around $350 with installs. Buy these with the car, you will not regret.

By the way, I have the exact color and accessories and I paid $29,500 using Costco auto services in NJ.

14. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What dealer did you buy from in NJ ?

Many thanks for the above info.....

15. Karthik Krishnan

Karthik Krishnan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can call Hesh Ismail at DCH Brunswick Toyota in North Brunswick. Tell him I gave you his name. He is very collaborative. I have no other relationship with this salesman or the dealership. Just trying to be helpful, that's all.

16. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Illuminated door sills... I asked to have that accessory included when I placed my order for a Premium on the 1st of May. BUT... I might just call "my" on-line sales rep (Max) and ask if it's too late (*) to include the door-edge guards and body side moldings.

(*) "...if it's too late....": On the 31st, Max said, "they are going to assign your Prius to our allocation mid June...." As long as it's not actually being "built" yet, it's not too late to ask... is it?

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As mentioned,if it was sold before, you have the issue the $4502 credit is supposed to be for first time buyers. The other thing you might like to know is what was the first state of registration for CARB warranty status. I could see if it was non-CARB the price would be lower in NY where you'd rather have a CARB car. For IL you do not care, except if it was CARB that's a plus if you resell back to a CARB state. Toyota should be able to give you that info for the VIN as they track it for CARB warranty purposes..