1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help NYC-proofing my 2017 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by elycleoe, Oct 20, 2020.

1. elycleoe

elycleoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hidy all,

I'm new here and have a new-to-me 2017 Prius. My car is registered in a state that does not require a front plate. I am currently in NYC for a while and my car is getting destroyed from having to park on the street. Sorry, but I don't have $400/month to spend on a garage.

I got a bumper bully for the rear bumper but the front of the car is breaking my heart. Lots of nicks and scrapes--the beginnings of the NYC tell-tale "bumper rash," but because the Prius has such a low, sloped profile the damage is even around the hood ornament. Today, I walked out and found that the grill had been cracked.

I've been trying to find something to protect the front of the car but the only thing I can find are bump shox type products that go around a front plate holder. I don't have a front plate so to make use of a bump shox I would need to drill in a plate holder. All of the tow mount plate holders are on the side of the front bumper and won't offer the same protection with the bump shox product as the front center mount plate holder.

My questions are:
    • Are there other options for me for protecting the front of my car?
    • What kind of plate holder should I get if I go the bump shox route?
    • Is there some sort of compound I could use to repair the crack in the grill--it's in one of the grill slats, if you follow me. I can post a pic tomorrow. Or another hack that won't look terrible?
    • Are there any geographically based forums on here or does anyone have advice on finding a good Prius mechanic that's not the dealership?
    Thank you in advance for your collective expertise. Apologies if some of my questions should be posted elsewhere. If that's the case, please kindly point me to the correct forums. This is my 1st post on PriusChat.

Thank you,

Ely