1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help or advise

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Don S, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Don S

Don S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Touring
    I picked up my new prius v 4 days ago, and the dealership installed a couple of accessories, hood deflector and a roof rack. I shouldn't have let them install the roof rack as it is easy to over torque the rack and cause damage on the roof line. Well sure enough when I removed the rack when I got home, the rear rack contact area on both sides was deformed at the roof line as the rack bolt had been over torqued. It is the toyota rack shown on the toyota website. As this damage is apparent what would be my expectation of the dealership to rectify this?
    I thought perhaps 1. a new prius v as I have only had the car a few days and have put few kilometers on it
    2. Some cash back. 3. repair it but this will now show up on a carfax and affect the future value. 4. Some other option I can't think of but perhaps some of you might suggest.
    I have a call in to the service manager but since it is the weekend I am awaiting their answer. I did send pictures of the deformed area.

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunate experience for you. Hopefully the dealer with have some type of remedy that works.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is the roof rack intended to be removed and put back on or is it designed to be permanent? When it is on are the dents hidden? Regardless a repair could be a new panel which should not show up on carfax because it was not an accident.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Those type dents are usually possible to remove with one of the popular "un-dent" techniques.

5. Don S

Don S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a Paint less Dent Repair done on a truck with hail damage with excellent results. If a PDR shop can fix this then that would be ok as well. I have a Thule rack for my Tacoma truck and have been careful to use the torque wrenches provided with the rack and have never had any deformation from this rack so I was surprised that whatever technician did this install was not aware of the possible damage over torquing the rack bolts can do.

The toyota rack for this vehicle is meant to be put on and removed when not in use. I do not plan on having the rack on the car unless I use it to transport something larger than can be easily placed inside the car.

Here is an update on this issue. After discussion with the dealer I took the car along with the toyota rack back to the dealer for repair. The supplied torque wrench for the rack is designed to slip when enough torque is applied to the rack bolt. It seems apparent the technician installed the rack correctly but the problem now supposedly resides with the toyota rack and the torque wrench supplied with the rack. I won't get the car back from the dealer until it is repaired and it is determined if the rack is at fault. I think I will be offered a refund for the price of the rack if it is at fault. Fair enough at this point.
    So far I think I am being treated fairly but have had to make a trip back to the dealer (two hour drive). The dealer has supplied a courtesy car with a full tank of gas to drive while the Prius v lowercase v for the Prius v wagon. Only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation. is getting attended to.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds reasonable from the dealer's end but you will end up with a repaired vehicle. Will any records show the repair? I'm thinking diminished value potential?

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It seems to me that since the Toyota rack sold and installed by the Toyota dealer damaged the car then either Toyota and/or the dealer should be paying to restore the car to its original condition. If you saw the car sitting on the lot with a dented roof would you have bought it?

8. Don S

Don S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Touring
    Here is the outcome. I picked up the car about two weeks after returning it for repair for roof rack damage. I did get a used courtesy car (Corolla) which I found to be economical, nimble, peppy and practical. The Corolla was a pleasant surprise and an experience I will remember. The repair done to my Prius v is acceptable and I wanted to be upbeat and not negative which is so easy to be when something like this happens. To my eye there is no difference and everything looks fine. I am happy to get my car back will get a document guaranteeing the repair for the life of the vehicle or until the repair shop disappears. After a couple hundred thousand kilometers are prospective buyers going to be that scrutinizing? I did get some money for my gas costs and left the dealership with no regrets or hot exchanges which would make you have second thoughts about returning. I may be shopping for another Toyota in the future and don't want to burn any bridges. Better to get on with things and concentrate on the really important things in life.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like you were treated fairly. The advantage of having the repairs done at the dealer's Toyota certified collision center is the lifetime warranty.