1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help? P0015(93)+P0123+P0301+P1693

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Extreme, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Extreme

Extreme New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’ll try to make this as short as possible so that I don’t waist to much of your time.

I bought a 2008 Prius that the Toyota dealer told me had no codes but the inverter was bad and was leaking. Also the 12v battery was loose.
    After getting home, I replaced the hose that circulated the antefreeze to the inverter and the valve that was missing (guess that’s why Toyota said it was broken). Also noticed prior owner had water in the system, so I made sure to change it for Toyota Antefreeze.
    I took out the battery fan and cleaned it. Oil seamed new, so I left it alone. I got my first OBD device and with the help of Dr. Prius App was able to see that the big battery had about 72% life.
    I test drove the car for a few hours and the next day did the test again to see battery life at 80%+.. and getting 60mpg+ without A/C and 45mpg+ with A/C running. Car seemed to be running great around town under 60Mph in city traffic.

Here’s where problem came in. I ran the car the following day for 4 hrs in the city traffic again with no problem, but soon as I got on the highway for a 25 mile at about 55-65Mph the car started loosing power. Once I was able to get off the freeway the car started jerking at about 9mph, as if the trans was broken. But only at low speed.
    I stopped the car and let it sit for about an hour, but since it was getting late I decided to start the car and go back across the bridge to the house. The things I noticed on the way back home:
    1. Car still jerked at low speed.
    2.The battery fan was not at high speed, even though the battery seemed to be hot.
    3.The car looked like it was over charging the high battery; because it was at full range and still showed like it was charging. ( I had to accelerate to have the battery kick in and lower its charge).
    4. After almost arriving home 30 min. Later the car would auto accelerate on EV mode I believe. ( it felt like it was on cruise control, or that the accelerator was pressed down ).
    5. The oddest thing I noticed was before I got home, the car screen would not recognize that I was pressing the brake, and would continue to show the battery propulsion of the car, even while at a stand still.

once I arrived and turned off the car, it didn’t turn back on, and had every light you can imagine on.
    I got all these readings and didn’t even realize it till today since I didn’t know how to use the OBD to read codes.

I have already replaced the 12V battery and have no lights on screen now. However, Even after taking out the EV battery and charging and balancing it, the car will not turn on the engine.
    Before changing the battery (I was told at the auto part that it was no good, and the dealer said it was almost dead)
    The car would not even go into Drive without giving me the triangle of death.

now it goes into drive/ reverse but it doesn’t want to start the engine. And the battery dies after about a minute of me not even moving the car. Just putting into and out of great. Nothing else is turned on. No lights, A/C, ect…

I have even taken the inverter out of the car to try and see if I could take it somewhere to have it check out, or if I could learn or see anything that may help understand why the car is not turning on, but at this point I see that I have these codes and I need to put everything back in again and try to and test again differently. But before I do, can anyone tell me if there’s any way to test the inverter or other parts of the electrical system so that I can narrow down the cause of the problem?

I have looked up the codes but they don’t seem to match up with the cause or reason why the engine is not turning on now, or why it initially happened, since the car was working fine.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Do you have any OBD2 codes worth posting in this thread?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did you look up the codes? If it wasn't the Toyota repair manual for the 2007 Prius, that could be why they don't make sense. A small proportion of DTCs are universal across all cars and brands, but there is a larger subset that is manufacturer specific and a subset of those that are model specific so it will pay for you to make sure you get information about specific codes from the correct source and that they relate specifically to the Gen 2 Prius 2006-2009.

Of the codes you listed in the title, P0015 and P1693 appear to be invalid codes for the Gen 2 Prius. P0123 seems to indicate a fuel delivery issue which could have something to do with the P0301 which indicates misfires in cylinder 1.

Attached is the inspection procedure for diagnosing problems with the throttle position sensor circuit issues of which P0123 is but one.

#3 dolj, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    SFO likes this.
  4. Extreme

Extreme New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I have looked up the codes online. I search the codes with Prius, gen 2, ect. I have found each one and this week I will be working on it when I get a chance. Yes I had a good idea that not all codes work the same for all models, it doesn’t help that I am also new to using this OBD and haven’t had to work on a car in over 20yrs now. However, I’m hoping with a little help from people that know more about car, I will be able to understand this car much better.

this is what I found on the two you said were invalid:
    Toyota DTC P1693

Make:

Toyota

Code:

P1693

Definition:

Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction (Closed)

Description:

Engine started, ECT sensor more than 140 degrees F engine speed less than 6000 rpm, then after the PCM switched the locker arm from low speed to high speed, the PCM detected the Oil Pressure switch signal indicated "off" for over 1 second or more during t

Cause:

• OCV (valve) control circuit is shorted to ground

• Oil control valve for the VVTL is damaged or has failed

• Oil pressure switch for the VVTL is damaged

or has failed

• PCM has failed

1CH

P0015

not sure if I’m searching correctly but I am trying to find out as much as possible before throwing money into a project car.

Even though I found the codes, It actually sounds to me like I’m not getting power to turn the motor. That’s why it doesn’t make sense.
    I have the new 12V battery out of the equation now since it’s new and fully charged. But maybe the High battery doesn’t have the needed amps to turn the motor? I have over 210V but not sure what I need to have for amps.

5. Extreme

Extreme New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the OBD codes are in my post. P0015(93) P0123 P0301 and P1693.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What OBD2 device - app are you using to scan the car?
    Most scantools can connect to the engine computer (ECM). Some might connect to a few other computers (ecu's) such as ABS or airbag (SRS).

These tools typically won't tell you what they can't do. Maybe it can only talk to the ECM, and if that's ok it reports "no codes found", even though 5 other ecu's do have codes.

Few are capable enough to scan the 15-16 ecu's on a Gen2 Prius. I only trust a scantool that reports whether each individual ecu does or does not have codes.

Screenshot_20230306-130721.jpeg

Attached Files:

#6 mr_guy_mann, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    Extreme likes this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Extreme likes this.
  8. Extreme

Extreme New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I bought the scanner : NEXAS NEXLINK with Bluetooth 5.0

I’ve used the Dr. Prius app and Car scanner App on an iPhone 13. Honestly I don’t know how to use these OBD and up to a few weeks ago, didn’t even know what an OBD was by name. If I’m not mistaken the ECM is on the high battery? If so the OBD I have only plugs into the car OBD reader. But would love to know how or if I can actually connect to the battery’s ECM and take that peace out of the equation as well.
    Thanks

#8 Extreme, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So did you enter 2008 Prius specifically into your code reader or did you just select Toyota? I'm very interested to know how your scan tool reported P0015 and P1693 when these are not valid codes for a Gen 2 Prius.

P0012 seems to be the correct code for Gen 2 Prius. Notably, it refers to Camshaft Position "A" - Timing Over- Retarded (Bank 1), not "B" like the P0015 does.

I can't find P1693 that relates to Gen 2 Prius, although I can find it for other Toyota models.
    While you can put 2008 Gen 2 Prius in the search box, it does not mean that what turns up will be bona fide Gen 2 info. You need to cross-check what you get to see if it is relevant otherwise you will end up chasing your tail.

The best source of info is the repair manual. Search Prius Chat for "Prius Repair Manual or "PRIUS Electrical Wiring Diagram" that might turn up something.

OBD-II is not magic, you will still need your old-school skills to fix modern cars. OBD-II just gives you additional help and info to get there quicker - as long as you understand how the system hangs together.

This is a bit of a mish-mash of a post, I hope it helps.

Extreme likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When dolj described the code as 'invalid', that was specifically for a Prius. Sometimes you can find a description of the same code for some other car, even some other Toyota. Because P1693 is a P1 code, and all of those are "manufacturer defined", two manufacturers can use the same code to mean completely different things, and even one manufacturer can use it to mean different things in different models.

[​IMG]

So, when you are searching online, gathering information from more sources, sometimes you just need to gather information from a few more sources as a check on whether what you have gathered applies to the car.

As an example, you can see in the P1693 description you found, the part I colored red, about there being an oil pressure switch for the VVTL control. You might then look around for whether a Prius has VVTL (it has VVT—variable valve timing—but VVTL, which also controls valve lift, is a fancy feature in some other cars), or look in either the parts listings (non-paywalled at parts.toyota.com) or the wiring diagram to find out if there is any oil pressure switch having to do with the valve timing stuff. That then quickly clears up whether this code description can apply to this car.

Here's an easier call ... I've only recently started seeing folks here post videos they have found from this "nonda" channel. I haven't watched this one just now (because I'll never get the time back I spent watching some earlier ones), and they seem to be getting widely shared because of their video/production quality, which is very slick and nice looking. But as for what usable information they give you to help understand a problem, it seems to be all about the appearance of being informative; the channel seems to be some kind of internet content mill, cranking out slick-looking videos that will snag clicks from people who are hoping to find real info about their car problem (and could probably find it, someplace else). At least, that's the warning I would give about that particular channel, based on what other videos I've watched there.

It's kind of a shame, that somehow between their slick video production and their SEO, they keep getting found by people who would probably be finding more useful sources otherwise.

Extreme likes this.
  11. Extreme

Extreme New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much, any information I get helps, like I said, I’m just getting into this now. I have much to learn. I do appreciate your advice and I have noticed that the search was broad and did give me a lot of information that had nothing to do with my Prius or even my problem. This was still interesting and helpful if I ever run into those issues. But I do see and understand what you’re saying, it’s also the reason I joined this chat and decided to ask for help. The manual or electrical wire diagrams should help. I haven’t tried looking for them yet.

if I remember correctly, I put in the car year and model. I think it even says it on the car scanner app. Yep just checked, and it says Toyota Prius gen 2 (2004-2009).

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never heard of, and can't find DTCs P0015(93)+P1693. Curious what the (93) part means, as all subcodes (if present) are 3 digits.

Here is the workup for DTC P0123 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0120.pdf

Here is the workup for DTC P0301 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0300.pdf

Please double check for typos, or rerun the test with a different app or scanner, then post the results in this thread.

Extreme likes this.
  13. Extreme

Extreme New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will definitely scan again if I get to work on the car this weekend. I was actually thinking of trying to clear all the codes on the OBD, as from my understanding the car codes should clear themselves if battery is disconnected for over 5min? Not sure if that’s true or not, but it’s been unhooked for 4+ days now.

Thank you for the information.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of things I was going to comment on in my earlier post but missed are:
    You are mistaken, the ECM is the Engine Control Module and is responsible for managing and controlling the gasoline engine. The ECU (electronic control unit) that does the same for the battery is simply called the battery ECU (seeing as the 12 V battery does not have an ECU so, no need to differentiate). The HV (hybrid vehicle) Control ECU is another separate ECU that is like the orchestra conductor for all the ECUs. There are another 9 - 11 ECU in the Gen 2 Prius, so you need a scanner that will talk to all of them to pull all codes. It would seem your scanner app is deficient. (See this thread: Gen2 OBD2 app review for a rundown of some scan tools)
    That is how it is done. You connect your scanner tool to the OBD-II port (called the DLC3 (data link connector ver 3) by Toyota) and the scan tool (if good enough) will talk to all the ECUs and ask them how things are (when you do a health check type of function). A capable tool can also do many other things like look at freeze frame data, live data, activate diagnostic and routines (like brake bleed), and set custom parameters.
    It will clear some codes, but not all. Some codes have to be manually cleared.
    You've lost some codes then.

Clearing codes is not necessarily a bad thing to do but the important thing to do BEFORE clearing any codes is to make a record of them, including any freeze frame data, and date/time of the scan then you can clear any or all codes. That way, if you have a question about the previous state, you can load up the saved data and check out whatever details you need.

#14 dolj, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    Extreme likes this.
  15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Extreme and SFO like this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes a code shows up again after having the battery disconnected because it is kept in nonvolatile storage and doesn't get cleared (though those nonvolatile current codes are rare, C1451 might be the only one I know about). Other times, the code was cleared by disconnecting the battery, but on reconnecting the power, the ECU saw the problem again, and set the code again. For some problems and codes, it can take weeks for the ECU to pick up on the problem again, but for others, it can happen so fast you think it didn't get cleared.