1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help.. Parking brake error

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SilverBullet74, Oct 4, 2015.

1. SilverBullet74

SilverBullet74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 Prius V with 130k miles. We tow it behind our motor home on a tow dolly and now we are receiving a parking brake/Check PCS code. I searched online and found that it's normally caused by the battery so I replaced it. It worked for a few days and now it won't allow me to start it at all. It just shows the errors on the screen and the parking button is flashing. I've tried pulling fuses, I've disconnected the battery, and still nothing. I've not found a definitive answer online and I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent information on what could be causing the issue. Thanks for the help.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is a PCS code, what does that stand for? What's the specific code, can you post?

Also, no big deal, but you should have posted in 3rd gen Prius, Maintenance and Troubleshooting sub-Forum. This forum is for Prius v (lower case), the larger Prius version. Blame Toyo for confusing names.

Anyway, I'd just leave it as-is, don't start another thread, the moderators will maybe move it.

3. SilverBullet74

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So Sorry. First time I've ever posted. Just looking for some help to possibly get the car started so I can take it to the dealership to be looked at. It flashes the P Brake Malfunction along with Check PCS system. PCS stands for pre-collission system.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    have you looked under the car for lose or broken cables and wires?
    (stupid question) are you sure the parking brake is fully released?
    I have a gen 2 and hit the damn thing often as I get out of the car in work boots
    double check the connections that plug in around the 12 volt battery one of them has something to do with the parking brake (on gen 2) might be he same on the 3 other then that Id double check the fuses with a meter

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a volt meter and test the battery. you should have 13 volts or so at the battery and under the hood with everything off. check your battery connections and also where the negative connects to the body.

6. SilverBullet74

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It turns out it was a relay causing the issue. Should be fixed tomorrow once they get the part. Thanks for the help.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  7. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the update SB.

This is one reason why I prefer to have a manual handbrake instead of a button/relay. Another reason is that handbrake slides are a lot of fun.