1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help rebuilding/balance charging a battery pack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gino Veltri, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey nerds, long time lurker, 1st time posting.
    So this forum has helped me do everything from replace my shocks/struts, and learning the chicken dance, to using my MFD as a monitor for my Mac. Now i need help rebuilding a battery pack as ive acquired yet another 2005 Prius for a few hundred dollars and the only thing wrong with it was a bad 12 volt and a battery pack in which i was told module 7 "was bad", no other clarification than that. I have 1 1/2 battery packs i am trying to rebuild into one working battery pack. As i was taking this one apart i couldnt help but notice all individual cells were reading around the same 7.8 to 6.9. So how do i test the cells to tell which are truly bad? I can post the individual voltages if that helps? Thanks in advance for all yer help!

C Wagner likes this.
  2. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    geeze looks like no one took kindly to that pronouncement ..
    i have a schematic for my profile pic so .. that prob. puts me as able to put in 2 cents here ..

1st off u need to inform the audience about what codes you r receiving from the car ..

OBD reader ? --- u need one .. preferably a really nerdy wi-fi or blue-tooth phobe thing u plug into the :OBD 2 reader under your steering column (within 18" of the wheel) ...
    then u need to have an app like dr. prius or Torque (pro) .. to interface with the phobe ..

alternatively u can have a cable connection .. preferably a techstream varient ... this would most expeditiously provide the information we require ! TS will get codes where no others will .. like when the break master scylinider accumulator goes sounth .. TS providess those codes ...
    {EOF}

3. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you see the Wiki section at the top of the priuschat screen? Check there for the Wiki I wrote on How To/ "Maintenance" under repairing the HV battery. Here's the link: Prius High Voltage Battery Reconditioning | PriusChat

chronon likes this.
  4. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    if u had an android fone and one of many fine apps to assist, u too could look at your block voltages without having to probe a dobe with your DMM.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I used an IMAX B6 hobby charger (actually 4 of them) to cycle every cell to measure capacity. Replaced 7 of them from ones bought on ebay from a seller that could bin me out 7 modules of similar capacity. I then tested those to verify the seller sold me what he said he was.

So far that pack is still running fine after several years and 20K or so miles. We just sold that Prius. It was my moms before she passed away.

To really do it right though, you'd also need to do a load test and measure the IR while under load, but I've learned that modules that have similar capacity tend to have similar IR as well but it's not guaranteed. You could end up with a high capacity module that has high internal resistance which would still throw a code.

C Wagner likes this.
  6. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone know of a device available that will give me a direct reading of the mAh capacity of a module, without the need to do timing of discharge and the math of time and load during discharge? Thanx.

C Wagner likes this.
  7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    There's no such thing.

Raytheeagle and C Wagner like this.
  8. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Copy that. Saves me time wasted looking for one. Thanks.

Raytheeagle and C Wagner like this.
  9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, perhaps not directly. Most hobby RC chargers will keep "measure" capacity during a discharge cycle and display that result.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

C Wagner likes this.
  10. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great. Thank you.

C Wagner likes this.