1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help reinstalling factory Receiver Assy, Radio & Display

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Mikey Pikey, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Mikey Pikey

Mikey Pikey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My first post at PriusChat and I'm asking for help. My apologies for that.

My wife just bought a 2012 Prius V from her mother. We're a 30 year Toyota family but this is the first Prius we've owned. Anyway, my MIL for some unknown reason at some point had her local Toyota dealer install an aftermarket Alpine head unit, losing the factory Receiver Assy, Radio & Display in the process. A real head scratcher, I know. So, no backup camera and with the exception of the cruise control none of the steering wheel controls work which I feel is probably a result of this very odd modification.

I'd like to return the car to its factory condition.

So I have a couple of questions. The first is which receiver assembly? The Toyota build sheet describes it as Display Audio:6.1" Touch-Screen w/Backup Camera. I believe there are two possibilities - Toyota part numbers 86140-47010 and 86140-47020. There are a bunch of both part numbers on eBay.

Second question. Assuming I find no wiring butchery behind the Alpine head unit is this a plug and play installation or does the receiver assembly need marrying to the car's bus by the dealer?

Thankee kindly!!!

#1 Mikey Pikey, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Removing the v5 head unit for an Alpine and losing all the functions sounds like something a kid would do.

It can be plug in play as long as the right head unit is used. However they likely tapped into the speaker harness and could have cut off the connector. The v5 often had a more elaborate system than the lower trims so those ebay numbers might not be correct. It is a network connected system and probably had a different screen, buttons, navigation, etc.

I would do a couple of things before buying parts. First take the vin to a dealer and ask them what part number you need for your car as delivered. They can look it up in the parts department. Two, get a weekend subscription to the Toyota "Technical information System" and download all the schematics and removal information for your system. Of course the aftermarket Alpine has some kind as adapter housing that is different but the instructions will help. Third, before I bought parts I would take the existing system apart and find out if they cut cables or modified the dash board.

Finally the nav portions, even on the lower trims, is an add on module that sometimes comes with the head unit and sometimes does not. If I remember right, the v5 may have had a hard drive for maps as well. Again, having the dealer spell out the parts for your vin is recommended.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&contextType=external&username=string&password=secure_string&challenge_url=https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/login/techinfo&request_id=-8760850192071490934&authn_try_count=0&locale=en_US&resource_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%2F

#2 rjparker, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Mikey Pikey

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the advice. I was planning to first take a look behind the Alpine to see what horrors lurk there. Will also see if I can get either Toyota or my local dealer to tell me what head unit part number was factory installed.

This Prius is a Model 2. I see my profile says 5, not sure what happened there. (Update - profile edited) Anyway, as it's a base model I'm hoping the head unit setup was simpler and will be easier to restore. The build sheet doesn't show any nav function.

#3 Mikey Pikey, Sep 2, 2019
  4. Mikey Pikey

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got some more info from my wife today. My MIL doesn't remember why she did it but does remember the new radio fixed whatever problem she was having though she doesn't remember what the problem was either. However, it was NOT a Toyota dealer who committed this atrocity.

The car has a Sirius radio antenna installed at the top of the windshield so I'm guessing she wanted Sirius radio.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Dealership did not install the Alpine HU...they contract those jobs out to hack-shacks. Go find a reputable one and see if they can unscrew the job done. It will be cheaper than restoring to factory. See my media...I lost no function. https://priuschat.com/members/frodoz737.67749/

No can-bus "marrying" required...unlike VW and a few others.

#5 frodoz737, Sep 2, 2019