1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help, reversed polarity installing new aux battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DMAndy, Aug 28, 2020.

1. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    But yeah, the inverter is looking good for replacement. And it's still within the budget.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that was what I figured, just a case of using the jargon imperfectly, not of doing bonkers stuff. I don't know why we're so gung-ho around here to pile on to new members and say "I can see you're hopeless!!!". The terminology is learnable; you can probably find online resources that are good.

If you think it's part of your problem, you can go ahead and take yours out of the picture, costs you nothing (well, unbolting one connection and unplugging two others). Then see how much of the rest of the car's 12 volt system you can get working, and get talking to the ECUs. Yes, the HV ECU will say "huh? what, is my inverter unplugged?" but as a first step that proves it's alive and talking.

Nothing wrong with buying an inverter if you want, and then you'll have it if you need it, but you can do plenty of the rest of your troubleshooting by just eliminating yours temporarily from the picture.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok stop dude you have no idea what you’re doing in this circumstance.

Let it go don’t spend anymore time and money on this.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some of my most valuable learning experiences were when for some reason I had to go into something without, let's say, ideal preparation....

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I press the start button once, it turns green, but none of the instruments come on.

Assuming this "one push" is done with foot on brake....

Why in the world are we talking about replacing an inverter when the dash isn't even coming on? What does the inverter have to do with the 12v system prior to going to "Ready"? Answer....not a damn thing.

Quit pissing away your time and effort chasing ghosts. The 12v system supplies all the power to energize the dash/mfd, etc. Perhaps you smoked the power source ecu.

Looking through the driver side window, there should be the small car shaped icon flashing
    Open the driver door and the door ajar light should come on.
    With foot off brake....one press of the power button...green led comes on, mfd comes on, clock comes on, radio comes on
    With foot off brake...second push of power button....led turns to orange...rest of dash comes alive

Then...
    With foot off brake...third push of power button...car/system shuts off
    With foot on brake...third push of power button will put car in ready mode (just as if the first push was done with foot on brake)

6. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Understood. Here's my illustrated thinking.

I need power at the ACC fuse. To get power at the ACC fuse, I need power at the 25A ACC-B fuse first. That is on the same line, incidentally, that powers a number of important things, like the OBD fuse and the ECU-B fuse. These are on page 66 of the power source diagram. Tracing the line back through page 65, we get to page 64 and reach the C 5(A) and C 6(B) converter. This converter gets power through the 5A DC/DC-S fuse and I should be able to check if the power reaches IN1 pin 4.

If there is power at IN1, there's got to be something wrong with the converter, right?

upload_2020-9-3_10-44-54.png

upload_2020-9-3_10-45-27.png

upload_2020-9-3_10-45-54.png

7. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thank you, TMR-JWAP.
    I think one important difference is that my power button light does come on. Nevertheless, I'll have a look, the more info I have, the better.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Negatory. First off, the inverter and converter are turned off at all times except when the car is in READY. If the car is OFF and you can't get it to READY, it is normal for the inverter and converter not to be doing anything.

Now, Ed's hypothesis, which may have some merit, is that the output section of the converter sustained damage and could now be pulling the 12 volt bus down through its fat white connection to 3E. That would have you not seeing battery 12V anywhere, unless the 100A DC/DC fuse is open, in which case you could see battery 12V at places like ABS-1, DOME, and HAZ, but not at places like RDI, HTR, FR FOG, DOOR, or OBD.

If there does seem to be a large drain pulling down the whole 12V bus, unbolting 3E would tell you right off whether it is the converter output section doing it.

The skinny circuit DC/DC-S ⟶ IN1 ⟶ C5(3) is not power to the converter, it is merely there to allow the converter to sense the voltage at the 12 V battery. There is more to the converter than the two terminals shown on p. 64. You meet it again on p. 105. It gets its power from terminals I12 and I13 (p. 103), fat orange wires from the traction battery. (Turning that 200+ volts DC to 14 volts DC is what makes it a "converter".)

There is no power on those orange wires except when the system main relays (inside the traction battery case) are told to close by the HV ECU. Again, that never happens except when the car is READY.

I don't remember seeing you list which of those do currently show +12 with the battery connected and which of them don't. Have you taken your meter to all of those? It would be useful information to have here.

My sense so far is that there is a problem cropping up before the Power Source ECU is ever persuaded to close the IG and ACC relays, and before the HV ECU is ever persuaded to bring the inverter/converter online. That's why my time would be spent continuing to check the 12 volt system, with the goal of reestablishing communication with as many ECUs as I can, then asking them to comment on the situation.

11. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Damn, I was hoping I had something. Thank you for the input.

Places I have 12V:

Cabin fuse box:
    #2 M/HTR
    #3 WIP
    #4 RR WIP
    #5 WSH
    #6 ECU-IG
    #7 GAUGE
    #8 OBD
    #18 A/C (HTR)
    #19 FR DOOR

I also have 12V at all the engine bay fuse box fuse, except the middle ones

1 SPARE 30 Spare
    2 SPARE 15 Spare
    3 DRL 7.5 Daytime running light system
    4 H−LP LO RH 10 with halogen headlight: Right−hand headlight (low beam)
    15 with discharged headlight: Right−hand headlight (low beam)
    5 H-LP LO LH 10 with halogen headlight: Left−hand headlight (low beam)
    15 with discharged headlight: Left−hand headlight (low beam)
    6 H−LP HI RH 10 Right−hand headlight (high beam)
    7 H−LP HI LH 10 Left−hand headlight (high beam)

But surely these are understandable.

12. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    This got me thinking, if I have 12V at OBD, shouldn't I also have it at ACC-B? They seem to be on the same line. Does that make sense?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wait, what? You're saying you do show power at those places?

Those are downstream of the IG1 relay. Those should be off. Can you make them show no power by pushing the power button again?

If you can't, try pulling out the IG1 relay. (The power at those fuses should definitely go away when you do.)

IG1a.png

With the relay pulled out and in your hand, what does the ohms setting on your meter show between its pins 3 and 5?

IG1b.png

With the relay removed from that socket, what voltage to you see from pin 2 of that socket to body ground (or to pin 1 of the same socket)?

14. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Don't know if this is relevant, but I have just double checked and it does not matter whether the start button has a green light so far as
    Yes, it's definitely showing above 12V at all those places. Nice catch. I have it printed and marked in front of me and I missed it.

Give me 45 minutes, I'll check.

And again, thank you very much for all the time and effort you're putting into this.

15. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    OK, you're not going to believe this. I wouldn't believe this if I wasn't taking the readings the readings.

There is power at those fuses even with the relay out.

Could the fuse box be fried?

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the fuse box itself is relatively less likely to be the culprit. It's mostly stamped pieces of metal in there, that would have to be some serious frying action.

There are a lot of things downstream of the fusebox that get power from more than one place (think of the earlier example of the clock, with a constant B source for timekeeping and also an ACC input that controls the display). I would sooner guess one of those things was damaged, formed a bridge between its constant B supply and its IG supply, and is backfeeding that IG1 branch through its fuse.

Without putting the relay back, pull out all of those seven downstream fuses. If you still see +12 at those fuse sockets or at pin 3 of the relay socket, something has happened internal to that junction box.

If the voltage has gone away, put those fuses back in one by one and note which one makes the voltage reappear.

Of course double-check that the relay you pulled is the relay you think you pulled.

17. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    This is getting exciting.

I should be able to do that within the hour and report back.

18. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Much like you predicted ChapmanF, the fuses that fed power back were:

3 WIP 30 Windshield wiper
    4 RR WIP 15 Rear wiper
    and
    8 OBD 7.5 On-board diagnosis system

So I am guessing that's why no OBD. This is way above my head now. What do we do now?

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Make lists of the things downstream of each of those three fuses.

Edit: waitaminnit, whaddaya mean OBD? That's not one of the seven fuses downstream of IG1.

One has to be rather detail-oriented doing this stuff, or it gets hard to draw conclusions from the results. I thought you were going to pull ECU-IG, WIP, WSH, GAUGE, RR WIP, M/HTR. and A/C(HTR).

Do you see in the diagram why I thought that?

20. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Ooooops. Sorry. I pulled fuses 2-8. #8 was obd.

Yes, because those are downstream from the IG1 Relay. I will pay closer attention next time.

I'll double check tomorrow morning, but I am pretty sure #8 obd fed power back to the previous ones too. That should tell us something too, right?

A/C (HTR) did not feed power back, the fuses I put back would have shown a reading.