1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help reviving '05

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Shinyside, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Shinyside

Shinyside Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,
    I'm grateful for this forum's existence and have eyed it now and then for DIY info but only last month got a Prius. I bought it with a bad battery. When I test drove it it had no power and didn't want to go very fast (limp mode?) but signs seemed to agree with the battery being the issue and it did drive so I bought it. Sure enough, 3 cells were bad, 3 more were weak, so they've been replaced and the pack has been reconditioned.

My Prius now won't start and simply displays "Problem" on the dash. Previously I had to move it with just the 12V and it gave a message about not being able to go into Park and to apply emergency brake and park on a flat surface. I "think" that is sorted once i charged the battery and turned it on and off again but I'm not 100%.

There is an errant plug that eludes me as to where it belongs near the battery, a three-pronged white plug which connects to the control box next to the battery (ECU/BMS?). Previously I had missed the plug which connects to the orange fuse disconnect(does the orientation of this plug matter blue/black?) but now it's just that 3-prong white one. Any help will be showered with praise or cash if that's your thing. Many thanks in advance for all you kind people.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are three connectors that attach to the electronics section of the HV battery. The largest one goes to the ecu. The medium one (3 wires) is for control power to the relays. The smallest one (2 wires) is for the safety interlock switch.

HV Connectors.jpg

#2 TMR-JWAP, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome!

GREAT! Better to get all the life out of the remaining 22 modules than simply replace them all, IMO.

Problem can mean a number of things, best to get the codes read and often a generic scanner will not get the information needed.

ALL plugs on a Prius matter, both to actually being connected and to orientation. Having worked quite alot on Prii but not extensively as for example, the folks at Luscious Garage, I doubt it is possible to get a connector re-connected "wrong". All the connectors on these cars are what we call "indexed", so as to make it *nearly* impossible to mis-connect them; be it to the wrong place, backwards or otherwise incorrectly.

I would start by charging the 12v, removing the HV safety plug and going over EVERY electrical connection between the HV pack and the car to ensure all connections are correct, seated and secure.

4. Shinyside

Shinyside Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks all for your replies. I suppose a picture would be helpful :)
    [​IMG]
    It is on the top left of the large white connector on the HV ECU, with yellow brown and black wires. It extends from there to the three prong shown in the foreground. Any thoughts?

5. Shinyside

Shinyside Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess my image attempt failed. I'll need four posts?

6. Shinyside

Shinyside Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This will be my fourth. Any idea on the brown/yel/blk connector? pic inc soon!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    5 posts

8. Shinyside

Shinyside Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah 5 posts...

9. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You gotta balance your cells before they go back into the car or the bms will trigger codes. You can balance your cells by discharging each cell down to 40 percent of charge and recharge all in parallel to the same voltage using a diode on a wall work plug slowly over a week they will settle at the same voltage.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  10. Shinyside

Shinyside Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is the pic, it is shown on the top left of the large white connector on the HV ECU, with yellow, brown, and black wires. It extends from there to the three prong shown in the foreground. Any thoughts? 20181113 161419 — Postimage.org

The cells are perfectly balanced fwiw. They were connected in a parallel with leads at opposing ends to balance current between cells, cycled, then sat for for a week.

11. Shinyside

Shinyside Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pic linked in last post, please let me know if you can help point me in the right direction.

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, you need to plug that in. It is right in the area where the plug is located.

It connects to the white current sensor. Kind of on the edge of it.
    My screwdriver is pointing to it in the attached photo.

Look a little more carefully and you will find it.

Attached Files: