1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help - Strut ID

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stewy13, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Stewy13

Stewy13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Hello fellow Prius owners!

I'm hoping the experts on this site can help me move forward with some repairs on my 2008 Prius.

I bought it used two years ago, and it has sat for a year while I drive my other vehicle locally. This spring I took a look at her and it's quite clear the struts are done and need replacing.

To give you an idea how bad it is, especially in the rear:
    LowRiding.jpg

Searching online it's easy to fine these pre-assembled strut/coil kits, but what I've found on here is that you need to be careful when purchasing due to differences between the Touring and non-Touring.

Not being the original owner I'm unaware of the specs of this car and just to throw a curveball: the Canadian spec of the Prius (from my understanding) has Touring equipment, but searching up the VIN on Toyota.com reveals it being bought in Texas with no further records or specs. So..what else should I be looking for to determine what I need to buy?

Rear:
    PriusRightRear.jpg

Front Left:
    Front1.jpg Front2.jpg

The odometer was +309,000km when I bought it so I doubt the struts are original, and therefore when I look at them I can't see anything like the colored stripes that determine which ones are installed (or they don't correspond to what I've read)

Any and all help is much appreciated, really hoping to get this girl back on the road for the summer.

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's not there, enter your VIN here:
    TOYOTA | Japan Parts EU and look for chassis and rear spring.
    Then you can click at the assembly number to see the Toyota part number like in my screenshot. With this number you should be able to buy a correct fitting strut/spring. Screenshot_20200716-165134_Firefox.jpg

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]