1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help Troubleshooting, Car Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marshcat, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Marshcat

Marshcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2008 Prius with 113k miles. While driving home on the instrument cluster my check engine comes on then the triangle master warning light, brake and brake system warning, traction light, ABS and VBS light. On my screen the hybrid system warning comes on, then I loose acceleration. Luckly this happened less than a mile from my house. I was able to restart and make it to the drive way before loosing acceleration again. Now it won’t go in ready mode and all engine won’t come on. The check engine codes are P3190, P3193, P0171, and P0A80.

2. Marshcat

Marshcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here’s a few photos of the warning lights
    upload_2018-12-22_8-41-26.jpeg

3. Marshcat

Marshcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car needs a new traction battery.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Marshcat

Marshcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Anything i can do to confirm this?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A80 is evidence. If you obtain Toyota Techstream (Mini VCI is a clone) then you can identify which of the 14 module pairs is at fault.

johnjohnchu and jerrymildred like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is also the possibility of corrosion in the sensor wires on the traction battery, especially if you're close to salt water. But either way, it's in the battery as per the P0A80 code.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  8. Marshcat

Marshcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I really don’t want to take it to Toyota. I’m in southeast Louisiana. What’s my best option?

9. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a bit early to call this battery dead. There are also codes for poor engine performance. When the gas engine stops running any hybrid battery will be discharged to point of throwing the P0A80 code.

Get the engine running right and then check the battery.

Pello Ski and m.wynn like this.
  10. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree. From the looks of the guess gauge in the op's pic, it doesn't seem like the car is out of gas unless the guess gauge is really wacked... Fuel pump failure could certainly account for P3190 and P0171. Wonder if it could spoof the ecu into thinking out of gas, too?..:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Marshcat

Marshcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I’ll try adding gas. Any other things that I could possibly check that would pertain to those codes?

12. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen it said here that you need to add at least 3 gallons for the car to recognize that any was added. I've never had an out-of-gas event with any of our Prii so can't verify, but I would heed this for sure. Also, I'd clear the codes by using your scanner or disconnecting the 12-volt for a few minutes. This is indicated as an engine no-start (P0A0F) code needs to be cleared to allow another start attempt.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the 12V battery is disconnected then the 3 gallon issue goes away, as the gas gauge will reset upon power being restored.

johnjohnchu, Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  14. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Pat,

My thinking is simply that the 3 engine codes are too well aligned to be typical random P0A80 pilot fish codes. Seems very fuel system issue to me. Am I missing a typical P0A80 scenario?..

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are 7 bars in the fuel gauge so adding fuel is a waste of time. OP could disconnect the 12V battery to clear DTC, then try to start the engine. If it doesn’t start, smell the exhaust. If unburned fuel cannot be smelled, maybe there is an issue with the fuel pump.

m.wynn likes this.
  16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personal experience with a P3193 last year (link below) and running out of fuel even with pips displayed. Would've also depleted the HV battery had I not noticed the SOC was at or near zero and pulled over. Torque failed to alert as soon as the P3193 was thrown, which is why I now always roll with the SOC screen "on".

Sudden loss of power, Red Triangle, Won't Start + P3190 | PriusChat

Resetting the 12v will show the correct amount of fuel in the tank, which is something that should be ruled out given the codes thrown.

But resetting the 12v will also default the HV battery to a false SOC reading, offering hope where there may be little or no charge left now.

Look at the OP's current SOC...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The first thing would be to clean the MAF sensor.

What are you using to read codes? This situation might require Techstream. You don't want to be missing codes because of a less than ideal code reader.

m.wynn and SFO like this.
  18. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We get these all the time and it’s always trash in the MAF sensor. Normally caused by somebody removing the air filter and dropping something into it. Unplug the MAF sensor and leave it unplugged, reset the codes by unhooking the 12 Volt battery for a few minutes. READY the car and it should start up. Let it run and recharge the hybrid battery and then take the MAF sensor out and clean it.

19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm curious about that sequence. Is it because the change in the MAF sensor readings would be too extreme to be asking the ECUs to adjust with a dangerously low traction battery? (Repeated stalls & restarts?)

SFO likes this.
  20. Pello Ski

Pello Ski New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    OMG! I am so lucky that I read this chat today! I have a 2008 prius with 260,000 miles. It dropped dead without warning a few days ago. All the lights were on: check engine, triangle master warning light, brake and brake system warning, traction light and ABS. I got code P0A80 on my cheap code reader, so I was certain that my hybrid battery had died. I had thought about an out-of-gas situation, because my fuel indicator is quite useless. It didn't look very likely, because I had added gas myself a few days before the car failed. So I spent several days thinking about my options and getting quotes to replace the hybrid battery or to buy a new car. Today, I read this thread and realized that the P0A80 code was not the end of the story. I decided to check the codes again. I got P0A80 and P3193. I gave it a try: added a couple gallons of gasoline, tried maintenance mode, and the engine started. The battery was charging, I could not believe it. I drove the car down the street and back home, I was not totally convinced and I didn't want to get stranded again. The battery was still charging, so I decided to drive to the gas station. I put 7.5 gallons in the the tank. It was just the gasoline. The car is running normally! Amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you all! Specially Strawbrad!

strawbrad, jerrymildred and bisco like this.