1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help w/ XM Micro Antenna & Sharkfin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jim1eye, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I installed everything as per Cairo and Doc Evan's instructions, but when I fired up XM I got the dreaded "antenna" flashing on the XM. Fortunately I hadn't attached the sharkfin yet. I found that when I had tightened the antenna base back up after threading it through the roof, I severed the XM antenna cable. Tried making the notch bigger, but to no avail, still seems to sever that wire. I'm just threading the wire through the roof directly behind the threaded base.

Am I missing something? Am I over-tightening the base?

Have held off putting on the sharkfin until I resolve this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Apr 28 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]246641[/snapback]</div>
    Is this the sharkfin antenna from Priuschat Accessories (I ordered one; haven't got it yet)? And what XM antenna are you using?

3. Jim1eye

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 28 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]246646[/snapback]</div>

Yes it is, looks real nice. can't wait to get it installed. I'm using the XM Micro antenna by Terk. It fits under the Sharkfin. Got it from Amazon.com. Also had to get an adaptor (also by Terk, from Amazon) b/c the Micro has one lead and the XMPrius has 2.

4. jceh1

jceh1 Junior Member

I have teh same antenna and I placed a small (short enough so it doesn't go much under the antenna base gasket) piece of electrical tape on the edge of the roof, and just tightened down the antenna enough to get a proper and full seal around the wire and against the roof, so there were no spaces. Didn't distort the gasket too much. I did not even notch the rubber gasket under the antenna as the wire is so thin. Seems to be working fine. Been in a few down-pours and no leaking. All looks OK with the seal. You may be overtightening. Check to make sure that the wire stays put as you tighten and doesn't twist around.
    Good luck.

John

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing I can think of is that the XM antenna wire should be running in the chanel in the factory AM/FM antenna wire so that it runs right with that factory wire. Aside from that I notched the rubber base of the factory antenna to make sure it did not pinch the XM antenna and also so that it sealed tightly against the body. Sorry you had a problem; hope it works out.

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Apr 28 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]246641[/snapback]</div>
    Is there a link to that- and had anyone posted any photos?
    Thanks!

7. Jim1eye

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 30 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]247565[/snapback]</div>

Mike, cairo has some great pix at this post
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=226129
    and the one after. That's the directions I followed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 30 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]247529[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Cairo, didn't run the wire through the channel. That could be it. I'm off to do it now. I'll advise.