1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help with 07 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Stevern, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Stevern

Stevern Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have a guy that will change it for 200 including pump, but he is 125 miles away. If i drive under 50mph, and stop to let cool, a couple of times will it be ok? Dont want to screw anything else up.

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Keeping it under 50 might be alright, I'm not sure, but you will definitely want to stop the car and pull over to a safe place to let the inverter cool down for awhile if you get the Red Triangle on the dash.

Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend letting anybody choose what part to put in it. Apparently, there have been instances of cheap Chinese knock-off inverter pumps failing prematurely. Last year we got the code for a failed inverter pump and I agreed to let a Goodyear shop replace it for for about $350 including the part. Upon checking the reservoir for fluid movement some months later, I didn't see any, although I could hear the pump running and feel it vibrating. It was suggested to me that possibly there was a clog somewhere in the system which prevented the fluid from moving freely, but I couldn't get it out my mind that the shop probably used the cheapest part they could find to do the job. I ordered the OEM part from a Toyota dealer online (I think it was a little more than $100) and changed the pump out myself a few weeks ago. I never did get another code, but I did it just for my peace of mind. I now see movement in the reservoir, but it is still not "boiling" as some have described.

Moral of the story, if you are not going on a long distance trip soon, I would recommend ordering the part online from a trusted source, waiting for it to be delivered and then asking your guy if he would mind using that part.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Stevern

Stevern Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    He is a friend that does work on all my prius, and he uses only toyota oem part. He has replaced hybrid battery in one of my prius. He also gives me a year warranty unlimited mileage on anything he does. So I do trust him, and he accommodates me. I'm grateful for everyone's help.

Raytheeagle and davecook89t like this.
  4. Stevern

Stevern Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Another question. I just had these lights in picture come on. Driving fine, is there anyway to reset the lights, to see if they return. Thank you for any suggestions. 20200308_131440.jpg

5. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Disconnecting the 12V battery in the rear will clear the codes your car is throwing and cause the lights to go out, at least briefly, but a much better plan of action is to have the codes read before clearing them. Then you will know how to proceed. Some auto supply stores may be able to read the codes for you, but a Toyota dealer is a better source for getting all the correct codes (of course that comes at a price, $100 - $150). Alternatively, you could order an ELM 327 code reader online and use a phone app such as Torque Pro, Dr. Prius or Hybrid Assistant to read the codes ($15 - $20 for the reader and the app). As the owner of an older hybrid, you really should have such a tool at your disposal, anyway. An even better solution, would be to get a copy of Techstream on a laptop computer and a Mini VCI cable ($50 and up).

SFO likes this.