1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help with 2007 Aux power sockets - fuses have been replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lbarrack, Jun 8, 2022.

1. lbarrack

lbarrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This group has been very helpful in the past - I hope you can help me again. I have a 2007 Prius. I used the front aux power socket under the dash for charging my iphone for years (usually its not connected and it just provides a low blue light).
    I got the brilliant idea of using an electric powered jack for my Prius. The values seemed ok but when I plugged it in, it worked for a few seconds and then went out. Now neither of my acc outlets work. I figured I had blown the fuses but they all passed a continuity check (these are the ones that have been recommended on this site that I tested - pwr Outlet and pwr outlet fr as well as acc B and acc). I bought new fuses and replaced the ones here (pwr outlet and pwr outlet fr) just in case. Still no go.
    At this point I don't know what else to try. Help.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Elect an electric powered Jack meaning a car lift to lift the car? That would be quite a load on that little cable wow I'm wondering if you burn up the socket itself like look on the back of the socket where the wiring connects and see if you burnt the wires right off the socket something and didn't even make it to the fuse to burn up the fuse it just burnt the wire right off the socket.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The two power outlets each have their own fused source (15 amp), but I'm pretty sure they share the ground connection. Perhaps the ground connection has failed.

Here's a link to the repair manual chapters. The wiring diagram chapter is near the end.

I just glanced at it, looks like page 310 is the aux power outlets.

Shows that ground (code IH) as being located under the Left Hand Cowl side panel. Basically behind the panel left of your left knee when sitting in the car.

Service Manuals - Google Drive

Service Manuals - Google Drive

#3 TMR-JWAP, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  4. lbarrack

lbarrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is the specs for the Jack:
    upload_2022-6-18_18-44-23.png
    I'll check to see if that happened.

5. lbarrack

lbarrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A lot of good info here. I did a quick look but the pages don't seem to be numbered in the same way you suggest. They're like B-8.
    I'll keep looking and thanks.

6. lbarrack

lbarrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is this it?
    upload_2022-6-18_18-51-42.png

This is on OT-8 in the Other System section.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    13.5 Amps rated lift. That's at limits of that socket I believe. You can buy a ceramic socket that's got a higher rating and use some fatter cable to wire it up and run it straight to the battery or straight to a larger power source and something I would certainly try or for the lift you could just put the heavy socket back near the battery and plug the lift into there I'm sure the lift comes with the long enough wire to reach all the jack points on the car from a central located apparently lighter plug. That way there your run of cable to the positive and negative can be relatively fat wire a heavy duty ceramic type cigarette lighter plug and the wiring will be short you could even drill and put it in that panel that goes right over the battery so you can do not even access it just pull the little plastic cover off the hole stick your jack in and go

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The link connects to a bunch of pdf files. Scroll down to the one titled WD (wiring diagrams). Select that and once it loads scroll down to page # 310 - the aux power outlets diagram. Just below that is the key- which shows stuff like the ground point.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. lbarrack

lbarrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Actually I scrapped to whole electric jack idea and bought a craftsman floor jack. Now I'm just trying to fix what I broke. I'm trying to keep the car stock so if I sell it there won't be any surprises for the next owner. But your suggestion is a good one, especially if someone wanted beefier outlets which certainly would be helpful.

10. lbarrack

lbarrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've been in IT for over forty years now and it never ceases to amaze me at some of the screwy things you can come across. Like Firefox cutting off the last row of pdf files so I couldn't see the WD group. Used Chrome and found it. Thanks for this treasure chest of documentation.

Looks like I'm looking for 1H which is a relay.
    upload_2022-6-18_23-17-4.png

Which leads to P5

upload_2022-6-18_23-21-48.png

P 5 Power Outlet Relay part # 82660–20340

I'm not sure if I should take this further or have my mechanic fix it at this point? Anybody have any experience in fixing this. Any advice?

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I probably have the extra relay laying right around here I've got two cars so shouldn't be a problem so it burn up the relay not the cabling to the outlet well that's good so should be pretty plug and play I don't know what relay that is I have to go out and look but it's a blue or green whatever but I have a bunch of them

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh yeah now that I look at your diagram I know exactly where this is I just pull that fuse box out of the late '05 the other day a million relays and what have you on that big white piece of plastic it's laying right here

13. lbarrack

lbarrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I actually haven't checked that wiring yet (not sure how to exactly) but when I pulled the fuses and checked them, the contacts looked a little discolored. Also for a moment, when I had the jack plugged in, the lights on it flickered when I wiggled the plug before going out. I always did have contact issues with that front jack so the wiring sounds like a good possibility. Do you just pull out the plug or do you take out the panel it's connected to to check the wiring?
    The reason I'm thinking it's not just the wiring is the inner outlet in the center console is also not working (I don't think it ever has since I owned the car but I'm not sure). That relay is pretty cheap, I think I can get one for about 10.00 but I think your right, the ground should be checked first.