1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with 2014 Prius Three

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PreeusLuvr, Apr 9, 2018.

1. PreeusLuvr

PreeusLuvr New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought my car and was hit in the left rear quarter-panel, and bumper- the wheel was pushed into my car and the driver’s side curtain airbag deployed. I took it to an auto repair shop and they replaced the rear axle beam assembly replacement. Drove my car home and now almost every light is on - brake light, ABS and yellow ((!)) light, skid light, airbag deployed, and now READY light came on with constant beeping and the brakes seemed to stop working for a minute with constant beeping. I don’t know how to fix this car and don’t want to take it to the dealer who will report it was in an accident and overcharge me. The curtain airbag was not replaced. Anyone know what the problem is, who I might be able to take it to other than the dealer, and how much this may cost? Also makes strange humming noise in engine now too when in idle. No problems before it was repaired by auto body. Please help. Thank you.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PC. Sorry about the accident. Hope you're OK.

Standard procedure is that you immediately call the police when someone hits you and, if they are at fault, their insurance pays for everything. This should not cost you one dime in an ideal world.

But it's not an ideal world. Still the other driver is responsible for the cost of your repairs. If they don't have insurance, then your insurance should take care of you and go after the other driver. Since you didn't call the police immediately, I don't know what will happen.

Also, if the airbag deploys, the insurance company usually totals the car.

If you're determined to get the car fixed, you'll need to read the codes to find out what all the other driver broke and what the repair shop screwed up. The repairs will likely cost more than replacing the whole car. Perhaps one of our members in the Phoenix area knows of a body shop that's Prius fluent.

RCO and bisco like this.
  3. PreeusLuvr

PreeusLuvr New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. I had limited liability at the time. I am trying to fix the car. Body of the car is repaired but due to fixing axle assembly system and body of the car the repair shop technician triggered all of these alerts and sensors. Just need to figure out if I am forced to reinstall a new drivers side curtain airbag to get these sensors to stop and/or if it’s something else? Thank you, kindly.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer. I'm not sure if there's any way to fake out that air bag warning, but I doubt it. And I would only want to do so for a temporary stop-gap till I could get it replaced. But that's so expensive that it's the reason insurance companies usually total a car if an air bag deploys.

The humming noise from the engine is peculiar. You'd need to get under the hood and listen, probably with a mechanic's stethoscope. Humming from the a/c pump is normal, but since you said this is new, that' different. Engine coolant pump? Inverter coolant pump?

If you get the codes read, that may point you in the right direction. Just make sure it's a reader that has the Prius PIDs and don't forget to get the sub codes.

RCO likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normally I'm the last person on this forum who would advise that you take the car to a dealer, but this may be an exception to the rule.

Airbags are not to be tinkered with lightly!
    The reason that it's not easy to drive a car with a deployed airbag is that some people.....and I'm sure that I'm not talking about you.....would be tempted to not replace the airbag when they fix the car following a collision.
    That's cool with me...........until you sell the car.
    Back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and cars only had one airbag, they used to sell connectors that would make the car think that there was a functioning airbag installed and extinguish the ID10t light(s). These plugs usually could be made for less than $1, which led to some unfortunate temptations.
    Now that cars have lots and lots of airbags, things are a little more complicated.

Dealerships are often not as bad as I make them out to be in this forum.
    Sometimes, they're run by people who are almost ethical.....whose moral compasses only start to wobble a little bit whenever the subject of money comes up. If you tell them that you're cash flowing the repair, they will often cut you a break on the price, since they know that the insurance company is not footing the bill.
    There might also be an independent mechanic in the area who can replace the side curtain bag more cheaply than the bigs.

Good Luck!

RCO and jerrymildred like this.