1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with a P3030 code

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by marksalvage00, Oct 13, 2018.

1. marksalvage00

marksalvage00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello,

After making an attempt fixing my battery pack, it is now throwing a P3030 code which did not exist prior to me opening the pack. Below are techstream screen shots of before and after the repair. The main difference I notice is that on the current scan shows Battery SOC is at 59.5 v.s. 0 on the original. Also, almost 0 voltages on all of the blocks compare to the original of 15v for each block except for block 4.

What might had done incorrectly that will result in no voltage readings on any of the blocks? I would think that if I had accidentally snapped 1,2 or 3 of the little wires that reads the voltage only those would show 0 volts but the rest indicate 15v. Before putting the pack together I measured 7.5v on each of the battery to make sure that they are balance. Any idea what might have been not put back properly that would cause the readings below?

Current Issue P3030:

101218.PNG

Original Problem P3006 with bad Block 4:

152273_Prius.png

The original issue with the battery was a P3006 problem. I disassembled the pack and replaced one of the battery on block 4. I found that it was cracked. I also cleaned the busbars of corrosions.

2. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you take the battery ECU out of the battery pack while you were working on it? If you didn't get the orange connector with all the battery voltage sense wires plugged all the way back in to the battery ECU, you might see something like this.

If the individual connector pins backed out of the orange connector housing for some reason, you might also see something like this. In my experience, it's pretty rate for any connector pins to back out, unless you do something like plug and unplug the connector 100 times, or try to plug in the connector at a strange angle, or if you yank on the wires to unplug the connector.

If you trapped the battery voltage sense wire harness between the battery cover and the rest of the pack when reinstalling the cover, this might also have happened. I think that should be relatively hard to do - at least on mine, the sense wire harness sits further inside the battery pack than the big main positive and negative cables to the system main relay.

If you break one of the individual battery voltage sense wires in the middle of the pack (not the ones on the most positive or most negative terminal), I think you would lose the readings for the blocks on either side of the wire. In other words, breaking one of the little wires will zero out the readings for two battery blocks.

If you break one of the individual battery voltage sense wires at the ends of the pack - on the most positive or most negative terminal - I think you would at least lose the reading for one of the end blocks (block 1 or block 19). You might also lose the readings for the whole battery if that happens; it depends on details (that I don't know) of how the battery ECU is wired.

If you mixed up the battery voltage sense wires when reinstalling the bus bars, this might have happened - but that should be pretty hard to do, since each wire is only as long as it needs to reach the place it needs to be. Looking at the photos I took of my battery pack, the wire colors in real life match the ones on page DI-341 of the 2001 service manual, and page 62 of the 2001 wiring diagram manual.

3. marksalvage00

marksalvage00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

4. marksalvage00

marksalvage00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the respond. I did missed tightening completely one set of bolts.

mroberds likes this.
  5. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did tightening all of the bolts fix the problem? (P3030 and some of the blocks being 0 volts.)