1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with ABS problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by theory816, Dec 24, 2022.

1. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    2007 Lexus RX400h 180k

Trouble Codes
    C1241(low/high batt voltage)
    C1391(leak in ABS pump)

I recently did a scan with techstream and found out that my brake system was all kinds of messed up. The main one being there is a leak in the ABS system so it needs to be replace(too expensive though). This morning I got an OBD scan and printout from Autozone and got those trouble codes.

After the car got the brake leak issue, I've been driving around for a while with really messed up brakes. When the brakes kick in, it stutters. And there's also a semi grinding noise when in motion. I replaced the rotors and the brakes not too long ago so I know they aren't the problem.

My main issue is this, for the life of this car, I've consistently gotten 32mpgs. But with this issue, my mpg is down to 19! I can do without an ABS system no problem but why's my main brake system acting like this?
    I've taken the brakes apart and lubed the pins. They don't feel like they are catching but I could be wrong.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Because I think in that car like our prius The ABS actuator computer and related systems are needed to be in place for the system to work matter of fact your rears may not even be operated by anything but the computer depends on the system and the systems can operate by themselves so you're going to have to locate through JDM importers or whatever a used break actuator which is the pump and accumulator on a block or something like that for your 400 I don't know the 400 layout that well and that should only set you back a couple hundred bucks and then you change that out bleed it with the Toyota computer or software of similar and get on with your life when this system starts to fail yeah expect your mileage to go down your brakes are grabbing that weird times and not doing what they're supposed to be doing they may be squeezing up or you're pushing through calipers that are partially squeezed whatever the case You have no manual control over that in a car like yours or ours..

theory816 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right ... in this car, there's not some separation between the "brake system" and the "ABS" like something else bolted on. Your brakes just don't work.

"But I can still press the pedal and the car stops", you're thinking, and maybe so at the moment, but the system is giving you codes telling you it doesn't work, and it isn't making those up.

The best kind of warning you can get is the kind that comes early enough that you can address it.

But you may as well start by looking into the C1241. If there's not enough power getting to the brake system, inability to pump up pressure can be the result of that. So if you find a cause for the C1241 and fix that, then you can see if the C1391 still comes back after that.

theory816 likes this.
  4. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    Ok thanks. I guess ill have to bite the bullet and get a used pump. My other issue is that I've found very little info online on how to fix the C1241 code. Autozone said it was the ABS relay but I can't even find which relay to replace other than to test them all with a multimeter.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Isn't it marked in the fuse box I thought they were one or two of them there's also pictures on here of guys bleeding the brakes and showing which relay you have to pull the bleed whichever breaks it is and all that and they're like right in the lower part of the box I believe I think they're marked ABS clearly not the relays themselves but under the lid of the fuse box.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "little info" is because that's not the way trouble codes work. C1241 does not tell you some specific thing needs fixing, so do that and you're done.

What C1241 tells you is that the electrical voltage arriving at a certain spot in the brake system is lower than it should be. Finding out why it's lower is the first thing a human needs to do. It might be a different reason in your car than somebody else's who also has C1241. The troubleshooting instructions for the code are in the repair manual:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

and with a multimeter and those steps to follow, and maybe the wiring diagram (see same link above), you can figure out why the voltage there is low in your car. Once you know that, then you know what to fix.

theory816 likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Could it be as simple as a low-performing 12 volt battery? In these cars this is where I always start with the 12 volt battery seems that everything in the car is dependent upon a solid 12 volt signal that can pass a load test seriously liking old cars of yore. You could have 10 volts in the battery and still crank the starter get the car running and the alternator would charge the battery back up would pack it to whatever it could hold even with a bad battery that would only hold it for an hour but it would get you by not in Prius forget it once the 12 volt starts to fault or even a little bit it can wreak havoc on the whole systems

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Because C1241 is a code for low voltage arriving at the brake system, most people probably will start the troubleshooting with a quick check of the voltage at the 12 volt battery itself. If it's low there, that's a good reason for it to be low at the brake system. :)

If it isn't, then you know, and you go on with the rest of the troubleshooting.

The freeze frame for the C1241 will tell you more about how low the voltage was and what was happening at the time.

I am not among those who hold the 12 volt battery responsible for all kinds of random havoc on whole systems. But yes, there are some ECUs in the car that can give trouble codes that mean "hey, noticing voltage a little low here", and if you have one of those codes, checking the battery is a fine place to start.

Tombukt2 likes this.