1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with changing my ECU

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rica8158, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I have a 2005 and my battery went bad. I bought a new battery from toyota and went to install the battery but realized that the new battery does not have the ecu on it. I tried searching but couldn't find any info online on how to do this and I am just trying to be careful as I know the battery is packing like 200 volts. Can anybody here lead me to some info on swapping a new toyota battery from the dealer.
    Edit: forgot to mention that the dealership told me not to open the battery pack or else I lose my 1350 core deposit. Am hoping this is not required.

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

The guy in this video does not say a word (perhaps he doesn't speak English), but the video does show a replacement of the HV battery ECU. You would need to remove the cover over the electronics, but not the cover over the battery pack itself. The video also does not show him removing the orange safety plug and testing for residual voltage across the orange cable connectors while wearing safety gloves, but that is definitely the necessary first step. I hope this helps.

Dxta likes this.
  3. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    dang I thought the ecu was all that extra electrical stuff too. My new battery literally doesn't have any of that. Will upload pic of my battery to show.

Attached Files:

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To be on the safer side, you got to remove the service plug. You could mistakenly get yourself killed, when attempting to remove the battery ECU.

davecook89t likes this.
  5. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the whole battery

Attached Files:

6. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes I have it removed. The orange one correct? I am still not sure what parts are carrying voltage though so better safe than sorry.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious how much was the new battery?

8. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    paid 3924.81 but will be getting 1350 back as a core charge hopefully.

9. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You will need to reattach all of the things that were hooked up to your original battery. Hopefully they are still in the car. I don't think anyone who sells you a battery is going to attach any other electronics unless you make arrangements to buy them as well. You got everything that you would normally get.

Lucifer likes this.
  10. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah I am looking for info on how to attach my old stuff from the old battery. I don't want to get electrocuted as I am unsure what is still energized after removing the orange safety plug.

11. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Everything I've read indicates that if you measure 0 Volts (or close to 0 Volts) across the 2 connectors shown in the attached picture, and do not open the case of the HV battery, you will not get electrocuted. I believe you should keep your safety gloves on until after you've measured 0 Volts across those 2 connectors.

High Voltage Connectors.JPG

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will need to open up bother batteries.
    Transfer quite a few parts from old pack to the new pack. Hoses, black separator, computer, contactor, white plastic rectangle, metal end plate, etc.

Then must properly package old pack. Place 2 rubber mats over modules, remove possible and negative cables, orange plug. Bag up orange connections. Label with VIN, miles, etc

davecook89t likes this.
  13. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is wrong. You must take the cover off of the old battery in order to transfer the necessary parts over to the new unit.

This is the control assembly off of the battery. To get this off of your old pack you need to remove the cover. Remove both of the main cables. Remove the service plug housing and associated cables and finally the ECU. Once you get all of that off there are 3 10mm nuts that hold the control assembly on. Everything goes on the new battery in reverse order.
    upload_2018-9-16_14-52-37.png

Hope that helps,
    Matt

davecook89t likes this.
  14. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Matt. I called the dealership again to let then know I have to open the case to switch some parts and even asked them to talk with their technicians and see. According to them I do not need to open the case and doing so will result in loss of my core charge. So it looks like I'm going to just send it over to them because they are only charging me 800 and that is less than losing the core charge 1350. Personally think they're still wrong but would rather not do it myself and lose the core charge and be stuck with my old battery. Thanks again.

15. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your help. I called them again and they warned me not to open it still because I would lose my 1350 core deposit. I honestly believe you are right but I don't want to lose my core as that is less than what they are charging for labor to switch (800).

16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the dealer installs you should get a 3 year warranty instead of the 1 year warranty if you installed it yourself.

17. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My dealer has that install down to 35-40 minutes. 800 is a good money maker with the core charge scare. Love the dealers.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they are selling you an unassembled Toyota pack that has new cells I would challenge your dealer.

It is impossible to do the job without opening it.
    I will gladly put down an $800 bet on that.

I would be willing to call the dealer to advocate on your behalf as well. Contact me at 608-729-4082.

I am also willing to walk you through things as well.

Your profile says Bay Area, is that the San Francisco Bay area?

Skibob likes this.
  19. Rica8158

Rica8158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yeah but I can't argue with them as they are holding money. Very fishy.

20. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can return the part and ask for your money back and use a different dealer or possibly from an independent shop.

Especially if you are in the San Francisco Bay area.

Prodigyplace likes this.