1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with Hitec x4 charger settings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ruudh, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Ruudh

Ruudh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After replacing 3 bad modules, I am getting ready to balance a Gen II battery using a Hitec x 4 charger. I have made the recommended user settings, as well as the following parameters for NIMH charging/discharging.

MIMH--->Auto--->5 amp
    Discharge: .7 amp ----> 6 Volts (discharge limit)
    Sequence Disch/Charge--------> 3 Cycles

I have also set the Capacity shut-off at 7250 Mahr.

When I press Start, it starts a charge cycle (??) when the module is fully charged, it displays an alternating "Full;"/"NIMH" in ther upper left display, but doesn't start the discharge cycle. These observations are valid for all 4 charging channels.

What did I do wrong? Any help will be appreciated.....Ruudh

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Use the manual mode instead of automatic.

3. Ruudh

Ruudh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanx for your suggestion. I set one of the channels to manual. No, that doesn't start the cycling. All it does is charge at 5 amps and then when it reaches the top it stops, then turns on again at 5 amp, and just dithers there. It doesn't even get to the "Full"/"NIMH" flashing display.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could offer you more help but I don't own the Hitec X4 charger. I downloaded the Hitec user manual for it and did not see any obvious reason for the difficulty you're having. Maybe someone who owns the Hitec will step up and will guide you through it.

5. Ruudh

Ruudh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you for trying to help me. You are a gentleman and a scholar !!

6. Ruudh

Ruudh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I figured out the answer to my question.
    To enable NiMH battery cycling, you need to start the process from the DISC>GHG display. If you start from the Charge parameter display, the battery will charge and then display "FULL", and stop charging. If you start from the Discharge parameter display, the battery will discharge to the set lower voltage and then display "END" and stop discharging. (even though the cycle display has been set to "ON", and 3 cycles selected).

The Hitec x 4 charger looks like a well thought-out piece of equipment, but the documentation is not very logical or clear.

7. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I saw this late but look like you figured out you need to start the cycling in manual mode under the NiMH settings. Make sure it's in discharge > charge mode (not the other way around), make sure all your other parameters are set and then hold the start button down to begin cycling. The Hitec X4 is a great charger but it's very easy to make a mistake when you are first starting out with it.

Here's the settings I was using too:
    Prius Battery rebalance thread | PriusChat

#7 MTL_hihy, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016