1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with install of LED's in dome light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ES44AC, Mar 29, 2013.

1. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered a complete ( almost) set of LED'S from iJDMtoy.

The panel I have pictured is supposed to go in the dome light. I can't see any way to separate the lens from the main body that contains the bulb contacts and switch. The dealer tells me they are not separate items it comes as all one piece.

The guy a JDM had no idea how to advise me, even though they say "ask us if you need help"... right.

Anyone ever done this and if so how?

Thanks in advance! :D

ES44AC

[​IMG]

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your photo does not load...

3. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It should now Rob thanks :D

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a photo of the dome light fixture on your car?
    I did mine- but I'm reluctant to offer advice until I'm sure we're referring to the same part...

5. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi ny_rob,

Here's a shot of it. I mistakenly put a panel of LED's that were intended for the trunk light, in the dome light. It made sense because the tiny panel of 6 fir right in the hole where the bulb used to reside. NOW JDM tells me that the panel of 114 goes in there. Who'd a thunk it? Sure I'd love to have that huge panel in there but there isn't way to remove the lens that you see from the body of the light that holds it to the roof of the car. Or better said" There is no obvious way to remove it."

Thanks and hope this helps you.

ES44AC

PS: That thing is an SOB to remove from the headliner too! :((

[​IMG]

6. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ES44Ac, the clear lense separates from the plastic moulded trim on the border of the clear lense. As your looking up at the dome switch which faces the front of vehicle, you'll see two dark indents on right and left side of clear lense. Gently pry at these locations between clear lense and trim piece and it will pop right off.

ES44AC likes this.
  7. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same kit, SUPER BRIGHT.

8. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey 2fastplus!

Well if it's that easy I'll get right on it and do it! Tough to tell what to push when the bloody thing is hanging by it's wires from the ceiling! I don't even recall seeing a plug to remove it so I could work on it. Can I unplug the assembly from the wires and deal with it on my bench?

Again many thanks! :D

ES44AC

Oh your last post came in while I was typing.. what are the other 2 panels I have left over? The have 28 led's on them where did you put them? I thought they were for the footwell lights but mine doesn't have those.

9. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 28s are your vanity lights.

10. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The foot wells I changed to white also by replacing w/Lexus ES-350 footwell LEDs (#81080-22040) which ran about $8 I believe. They are direct replacement for our orange colored ones.

11. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well ... I put the plug in style ones with 4 leds in the vanity lights. Seems there are lots of choices lol.

I don't have any footwell lights on my 2011 so I can't do anything there. I was looking at the one in the glovebox, the one that takes a Lexus led did you do that one and does it just pull out? My stealer wanted $25 for ONE of the same P/N you mention! No way that's gonna happen.

RE: The wiring to the dome light is there a plug I missed so I can disconnect it from the ceiling of the car to take the lens off?

Again thanks! Yes they are really bright a great improvement over the incandescent!

ES44AC

12. 2fastplus

2fastplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ES44AC, I never got to the point where I took the whole dome assembly down, I just popped clear lense off and switched lights. The 4 led replaces the tag lights.

13. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never thought that lens would come off without taking the whole deal down. Thanks for clarifying that!

I got one of the vanity lights in place, getting it apart wasn't easy but boy it sure lights up now!!!

Regards,

EX44AC

14. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're right! Now that I see how easy it was to take off makes it seem silly to ask about it.

Thanks!

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the delay- here's what I had on the dome light:
    dome_cover.JPG

Insert a small screw driver in tab cutouts in lens, pry lens down and away from plastic base.

16. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi ny_rob,

No worries I got it out the way you indicated. I initially thought the whole assembly had to come out but now that I see the tabs it's dead easy I was making it harder than it was! Fwiw the vanity lights come out in a similar fashion there's one large tab and one small one on those lenses, best to carefully pry out the small one.

Thanks again,

ES44AC